Advent of Go Microservices
Advent of Go Microservices
About the Book
Are you stuck writing boilerplate code for your microservice?
The book takes you on a 24 chapter adventure where you'll learn how to get rid of the chore work that is keeping you from actually writing your microservices. We'll resort to automation for taking care of your data structures, SQL migrations, API endpoints and routing, updating your documentation, along with CI and monitoring - all the things you need, but at the same time don't need to do by hand.
- About me
- Who is this book for?
- How should I study it?
- Linux and Docker
Go: Introduction to Protobuf: Messages
- Protobufs and Go
- Generating Protobuf Go code
- Wrapping up
Go: Introduction to Protobuf: Services
- Protobuf service definitions
- Our microservice
- Twitch RPC scaffolding
Go: Introduction to Protobuf: gRPC
- Generating the gRPC scaffolding
- Comparing the server side
- Comparing the client side
Make: Dynamic Makefile targets
- Building multiple targets with Go
- Dynamic Makefile target for building RPC/Protobuf files
- Building our services from cmd/
Bash: Poor mans code generation
- Generating our service cmd/ folders
- Generating the client for our service
- Server implementation
Bash: Embedding files into Go
- Planning database migrations
- Poor mans file embedding
Go: Scaffolding database migrations
- The migration API
Drone CI: Testing database migrations
- Configuring Drone CI for database integration tests
Go: Database first struct generation
- Database schema data structures and helpers
- Querying information schema
- Type conversions
- Moving forward
Go: Generating database schema documentation
- Updating the Go generators
- Implementing a markdown output renderer
- A caveat emptor about database migrations
Go: Dependency injection with Wire
- The Go way
- Runtime vs. compile time
- Wire and dependency providers
- Wire and dependency Injector
Docker: Building images with security in mind
- Configuring Makefile targets
- The basic Dockerfile image
- Security implications of our docker image
- Possible improvements
Go: implementing a microservice
- The database schema
- Improving the microservice environment
- Implementing Push
Docker/Bash: Issuing requests against our microservice
- The docker-compose file
- Our first request
Go: Improving our database handling
- Data source name - DSN
- Multiple database connections
- Updating database connections
- Database connection retry
- Migration improvements
- Re-testing the bundled migrations
Go: Instrumenting the HTTP service with Elastic APM
- Wrapping our existing handler
- Logging errors too
- Setting up ELK
- Setting up APM
- Configuring our sender
- Reviewing ELK data
Go: Instrumenting the Database client with Elastic APM
- Extending DB connection
- Verifying it’s working
Go: Stress testing our service
- Setting up our stress test
- Resolving detected errors
- Removing context cancellation
- Wrapping up
Go: Background jobs
- Adding background jobs to our service
- Do we really need Init?
- The background job
- Verifying everything works
Go: Optimizing requests with a queue
- The Queue
- The Producer
- The Consumer
- Notes and pitfalls
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.