Functional PHP (Functional Programming in PHP)
Last updated on 2016-09-08
About the Book
Functional programming. Sure. I've been using functions for years. What's the catch? Indeed you have been using functions a lot, just not in this way. When you think of functions as merely a collection of statements grouped together as an executable, you're thinking procedural programming. The truth is, functional programming is not a tool or a framework, but fundamentally an approach to software development. Since PHP 5.3 you can take advantage of higher-order functions and closures to create code with an extremely high quality that is more robust, maintainable, extensible and bug free.
In this book, I provide a practical approach to functional programming and show how it compares to other programming paradigms (procedural and object-oriented). This book is filled with examples that showcase functional concepts and techniques, plus using PHP in a ways you've probably never though it could.
This book is for the professional PHP developer. There's no crazy academic nonsense or mathematical equations, just pure and practical hardcore use of functions with the most widespread web language today.
Thinking Functionally in PHP?
- Which PHP version to use?
- Hello FP
- Declarative coding
- Designing for immutability and statelessness
- Pure functions fix side effects
- Referential Transparency
- A look into functional decomposition
- To sum up, what is functional programming?
- PHP’s first-class, higher-order functions
- Using containers improve your APIs
- Functional vs Object-Oriented Summary Table
- Point-free Data Flows and currying
- Error handling with Monads
- React: The Promise Monad
- Reactive Programming in PHP
- Functional Domain Modeling
- Object-oriented in the large, functional in the small
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...