Fast, Scalable And Secure Web Hosting For Web Developers
Fast, Scalable And Secure Web Hosting For Web Developers
Learn to set up your server and website
About the Book
Good website performance is becoming a top priority for many webmasters. This is because it gives the users of your site a better experience.
It also helps your ranking in search engines, which may offer you more free traffic from them. If you have an e-commerce site, several studies have shown that a faster website can increase the sale conversions, thus revenue!
Understanding the building blocks of your website will make sure that it can scale in popularity while keeping it stable and fast!
The first section of the book gives an overview on what to look for in a web hosting company. Where should you host your site and with whom? We will give you an overview of the alternatives and show you how you can choose the best solution for your specific use case.
After having chosen a webhosting package and server, we will install a Linux-based OS on our server. We’ll guide you through choosing and installing the right Linux distribution.
After the base OS installation has been completed, we'll install and configure commonly used web software including
- Nginx webserver
- PHP 7.x
- Java 11
- Jetty 9.4
- MariaDB database (drop-in replacement for MySQL)
We will also focus on tuning the OS for performance and scalability. Making your server and website secure (via HTTPS) is a hot topic since Google announced it can positively impact your Search Engine Rankings. We'll describe how to enable HTTPS and secure connections to your website.
We'll also explain technologies like SPDY, HTTP/2 and CDN and how they can help you to make your site faster for your visitors from all around the world.
Still not convinced?
Let me share a few quotes from readers:
*Take advantage of our summer sale* ! We now offer the Fast, Scalable And Secure web hosting ebook for a suggested price of $29.99, that's 25% off! Buy now :)
- Who Is This Book For?
- Why Do You Need This Book?
Choosing Your Website Hosting
Types Of Hosting
- Shared Hosting
- VPS Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- Unmanaged vs Managed Hosting
- Our Recommendation
Checklist For Choosing Your Optimal Webhost Provider
- Performance Based Considerations
- Benchmarking web hosts
- VPS Virtualization methods considerations
- IPv4 / IPv6 Support
Example ordering process
- RamNode Ordering
- Types Of Hosting
Installing the Operating System
Choosing a Linux Distribution
- The Linux kernel used should be as recent as possible
- Choosing a Server Distribution
Installing Ubuntu 19.04
- Selecting the ISO template in the Ramnode Control Panel and Booting from CDROM
- Using Tight VNC Viewer
- Start the Ubuntu Server Install
- Setting up SSH access to login to your server
- Login via SSH
- Updating system packages
- Installing Miscellaneous Tools
- Enabling IPv6 Support
- Useful Linux Commands
Upgrading Ubuntu 19.04 to a future release
- Remove any unused old kernels
- Do the upgrade via VNC
- Choosing a Linux Distribution
- Testing Ping Speed
Tuning KVM Virtualization Settings
- VPS Control Panel Settings
Tuning Kernel Parameters
Improving Network speeds (TCP/IP settings)
- Disabling TCP/IP Slow start after idle
Improving SSD Speeds
- Scheduler Settings
- Reducing writes on your SSD drive
- Other kernel settings
- Improving Network speeds (TCP/IP settings)
- Installing OpenSSL 1.1.1c
Securing your Server
- Configuring the ports to open
- A list of ports
- Show the current UFW rules
- Configuring UFW
Ordering a Domain Name For Your Website
- Choosing a Domain Name and a Top Level Domain
- Ordering a Domain With EuroDNS
- Configuring a Name Server
- Ordering the DNSMadeEasy DNS Service
Installing MariaDB 10, a MySQL Database Alternative
- Download & Install MariaDB
- Starting and Stopping MariaDB
- Securing MariaDB
- Upgrade MariaDB To a New Version
Tuning the MariaDB configuration
- Kernel Parameters
- Storage Engines
- Using MySQLTuner
- Enabling HugePages
- System Variables
- Diagnosing MySQL/MariaDB Startup Failures
Installing nginx Webserver
- Why nginx ?
- nginx compilation flags
- PID files; what are they?
- nginx Releases
- Starting and stopping nginx
- nginx configuration files
- Test the Correctness of the nginx Configuration Files
- Optimal Nginx configuration settings
- Error Log File Location
- Configuring the Events Directive
- Configuring the HTTP Directive
- Configuring the Mime Types
- Configuring Your Website Domain in nginx
- Updating nginx
- Which PHP Version?
- Install PHP 7.3
- What is an OpCode Cache?
- Zend OpCache
- FastCGI Process Manager (FPM)
- Other PHP modules
- Testing the PHP Install
Tuning php.ini settings
- Set maximum execution time
- Set duration of realpath information cache
- Set maximum size of an uploaded file.
- Set maximum amount of memory a script is allowed to allocate
- Set maximum size of HTTP POST data allowed
- Don’t expose to the world that PHP is installed
- Disable functions for security reasons
- Disable X-PHP-Originating-Script header in mails sent by PHP
- Sets the max nesting depth of HTTP input variables
- Sets the max nesting depth of input variables in HTTP GET, POST (eg. $_GET, $_POST.. in PHP)
- Enable Zend Opcache
- Configuring PHP-FPM
- Configuring a PHP-FPM Pool
- How to start PHP-FPM
- nginx FPM Configuration
- Viewing the PHP FPM Status Page
- Viewing statistics from the Zend OpCode cache
- Installing phpMyAdmin
- Download Jetty 9.4.x
- Adding the Jetty port to the UFW Firewall
- Enabling Large Page/HugePage support for Java / Jetty
Forwarding requests from Nginx to our Jetty server
- Garbage Collection in Java
- Optimising Java connections to the MariaDB database
- Download and install the MariaDB JDBC4 driver
- Download and install HikariCP - a database connection pool
Enabling Log rotation
- fail2ban log rotation
- MariaDB Log rotation
- Log Rotation For nginx
- Log File Management For PHP-FPM
- Log File Management For Jetty9
Using a CDN
- Choosing a CDN
- Analysing performance before and after enabling a CDN
Configuring a CDN service
- Create a New Zone.
- Using a cdn subdomain like cdn.mywebsite.com
- Tuning the performance of your CDN
- Do you need a secure website?
Buying a certificate for your site
- Standard certificate
- Wildcard certificate.
- Public and private key length
- Extended Validation certificates and the green bar in the browsers
Buying the certificate
- Generate a Certificate Signing request
- Ordering a certificate
- Configuring nginx for SSL
- Getting an A+ grade on SSLLabs.com
- Enabling SSL on a CDN
- Enabling SPDY or HTTP/2 on a CDN
HTTPS certificates via Let’s Encrypt
- Install Certbot / Let’s Encrypt
- Generating a certificate for yourdomain.com
- Configure nginx to use Let’s Encrypt certificate
- Automating renewal of Let’s Encrypt certificates
- Using DNS challenge to generate and validate your certificate
Configure Email For Your Domain
- Selfhosted Email Servers vs External Mail Systems
Signup for Zoho email
- Verify Domain
- Add Users
- Add Groups
- Configure Email Delivery
- Securing your email address
- Downloading Wordpress
- Enabling PHP In Your Nginx Server Configuration
- Creating a Database For Your Wordpress Installation
- Installing Wordpress
- Enabling auto-updates for Wordpress (core, plugins and themes)
Installing Wordpress plugins
- Installing Yoast SEO
Optimizing Wordpress performance
Upload small sized images in the Wordpress media library
- Resizing images with Imagemagick
- EWWW Image Optimizer Wordpress plugin
- Remove CSS Link IDs plugin
- Disable Emojis support in Wordpress 4.2 and later
- Install the Cache Enabler plugin
- Install the CDN Enabler plugin
- Optimizing Wordpress performance with the W3 Total Cache plugin (deprecated)
- Installing W3 Total Cache
- Upload small sized images in the Wordpress media library
- TCP IP
- Ubuntu / Linux
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Discrete Mathematics for Computer ScienceAlexander Shen, Alexander S. Kulikov, Vladimir Podolskii, and Aleksandr Golovnev
This book supplements the DM for CS Specialization at Coursera and contains many interactive puzzles, autograded quizzes, and code snippets. They are intended to help you to discover important ideas in discrete mathematics on your own. By purchasing the book, you will get all updates of the book free of charge when they are released.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals