A Hands-On Guide to Building Robust and Scalable Event-Driven Applications with Code Examples in Java
About the Book
The software architecture landscape has evolved dramatically over the past decade. Microservices have displaced monoliths. Data and applications are increasingly becoming distributed and decentralised. But composing disparate systems is a hard problem. More recently, software practitioners have been rapidly converging on event-driven architecture as a sustainable way of dealing with complexity — integrating systems without increasing their coupling.
In Effective Kafka, Emil Koutanov explores the fundamentals of Event-Driven Architecture — using Apache Kafka — the world's most popular and supported open-source event streaming platform.
- The fundamentals of event-driven architecture and event streaming platforms
- The background and rationale behind Apache Kafka, its numerous potential uses and applications
- The architecture and core concepts — the underlying software components, partitioning and parallelism, load-balancing, record ordering and consistency modes
- Installation of Kafka and related tooling — using standalone deployments, clusters, and containerised deployments with Docker
- Using CLI tools to interact with and administer Kafka classes, as well as publishing data and browsing topics
- Using third-party web-based tools for monitoring a cluster and gaining insights into the event streams
- Building stream processing applications in Java 11 using off-the-shelf client libraries
- Patterns and best-practice for organising the application architecture, with emphasis on maintainability and testability of the resulting code
- The numerous gotchas that lurk in Kafka's client and broker configuration, and how to counter them
- Theoretical background on distributed and concurrent computing, exploring factors affecting their liveness and safety
- Best-practices for running multi-tenanted clusters across diverse engineering teams, how teams collaborate to build complex systems at scale and equitably share the cluster with the aid of quotas
- Operational aspects of running Kafka clusters at scale, performance tuning and methods for optimising network and storage utilisation
- All aspects of Kafka security —including network segregation, encryption, certificates, authentication and authorization.
The coverage is progressively delivered and carefully aimed at giving you a journey-like experience into becoming proficient with Apache Kafka and Event-Driven Architecture. The goal is to get you designing and building applications. And by the conclusion of this book, you will be a confident practitioner and a Kafka evangelist within your organisation — wielding the knowledge necessary to teach others.
Chapter 1: Event Streaming Fundamentals
- The real challenges of distributed systems
- Event-Driven Architecture
- What is event streaming?
Chapter 2: Introducing Apache Kafka
- The history of Kafka
- The present day
- Uses of Kafka
Chapter 3: Architecture and Core Concepts
- Architecture Overview
- Total and partial order
- Consumer groups and load balancing
- Free consumers
- Summary of core concepts
Chapter 4: Installation
- Installing Kafka and ZooKeeper
- Launching Kafka and ZooKeeper
- Running in the background
- Installing Kafdrop
Chapter 5: Getting Started
- Publishing and consuming using the CLI
- A basic Java producer and consumer
Chapter 6: Design Considerations
- Roles and responsibilities
- Idempotence and exactly-once delivery
Chapter 7: Serialization
- Key and value serializer
- Key and value deserializer
Chapter 8: Bootstrapping and Advertised Listeners
- A gentle introduction to bootstrapping
- A simple scenario
- Multiple listeners
- Listeners and the Docker Network
Chapter 9: Broker Configuration
- Entity types
- Dynamic update modes
- Configuration precedence and defaults
- Applying broker configuration
- Applying topic configuration
- Users and Clients
Chapter 10: Client Configuration
- Configuration gotchas
- Applying client configuration
- Common configuration
- Producer configuration
- Consumer configuration
- Admin client configuration
Chapter 11: Robust Configuration
- Using constants
- Type-safe configuration
Chapter 12: Batching and Compression
- Comparing disk and network I/O
- Producer record batching
Chapter 13: Replication and Acknowledgements
- Replication basics
- Leader election
- Setting the initial replication factor
- Changing the replication factor
- Decommissioning broker nodes
Chapter 14: Data Retention
- Kafka storage internals
- Combining compaction with deletion
Chapter 15: Group Membership and Partition Assignment
- Group membership basics
- Liveness and safety
- Partition assignment strategy
Chapter 16: Security
- State of security in Kafka
- Target state security
- Network traffic policy
Chapter 17: Quotas
- The rationale behind quotas
- Types of quotas
- Subject affinity and precedence order
- Applying quotas
- Buffering and timeouts
- Sensing quota enforcement
- Tuning the duration and number of sampling windows
Chapter 18: Transactions
- The rationale behind transactions
- Transactions under the hood
- Simple stream processing example
- Are transactions over-hyped?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...