DevOps Katas (DevOps Katas: Hands-On DevOps)
About the Book
DevOps Katas: Hands-On DevOps is a collection of practical exercises that will teach you how to use three of the most important DevOps tools: Docker, Git, and Jenkins. Each set of katas will introduce you to the tool and its usage. The katas build on each other, so that after you're finished, you will have created a complete Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipeline.
Many technical books are "walls of text," heavy on theory with exercises sprinkled throughout. Not so with DevOps Katas! Quite the opposite. DevOps Katas teaches by doing.
The katas in DevOps Katas are based on Code Katas, which in turn are inspired by the katas of martial arts: short, quick-to-practice exercises designed to be practiced regularly. Katas are broken into steps, each with a few commands. You'll execute the commands first, then learn what you did and why.
All of the software you'll need to practice DevOps Katas is free. It's also provided to you in the form of a free Learning Virtual Machine, available for download at www.devopskatas.com. The LVM is pre-loaded with everything you need. All you have to do is download and install Virtualbox. No installing, no configuring, just kata practice.
Chapter 1: Introduction to DevOps
What is DevOps?
- DevOps Automation
- What is DevOps?
Chapter 2: Getting Started With DevOps Katas
- Introduction: Practice First
- What is a Kata?
- Kata Formatting and Conventions
Kata Practice Guidelines
- Kata Practice Pages
- Kata Practice Calendar
- Kata Practice Tools
Setting up the DevOps Katas Learning Virtual Machine
- Step 1: Install Virtualbox
- Step 2: Download the LVM Image
- Step 3: Import the LVM Image
- Step 4: Run the LVM
- Step 1: Create a Directory
Step 2: Change to the
- Step 3: Create a File
Step 4: List the files in the
- Step 5: Edit the file with the text editor
- Step 6: Enter text into the file and save
Chapter 3: Containers and Docker
- 1995 - 2002: Advent of the Internet
- 2002: Virtualization
- 2008: Containers
- 2013: Docker
Containers and DevOps
- Docker and DevOps Katas
Chapter 4: Docker Katas
Docker Kata 1: The Basic Commands
- Step 1: Running Your First Container
- Step 2: Listing Containers
- Step 3: Listing Images
- Step 4: Running a Named Container
- Step 5: Run a Container in Interactive Mode
- Step 6: Remove all Containers and Images
Docker Kata 2: Disconnected Containers
- Step 1: Run a “Disconnected” Container
- Step 2: Execute Commands on a Running Container
- Step 3: Connecting Interactively to a Running Container
Docker Kata 3: Container Volumes and Filesystem
- Step 1: Container Filesystem Changes
- Step 2: Run a Container With a Named Volume
- Step 3: Share a Volume Between Containers
- Step 4: Run a Container With a Host-Mounted Volume
Docker Kata 4: Running a Web Server in a Container
- Step 1: Run a Web Server
- Step 2: Run a Second Webserver on a Different Port
Docker Kata 5: Docker Networking
- Step 1: List All Networks
- Step 2: Ping Between Containers
- Step 3: Create a User-Defined Network
- Step 4: Run Containers on a User-Defined Network
Docker Kata 6: Creating Docker Images
- Step 1: Creating an Image From a Modified Container
- Step 2: Create an Image with a Dockerfile
- Docker Kata 1: The Basic Commands
Chatper 5: Source Control Management and Git
Source Control Tools
- Centralized Version Control Systems (CVCS)
- Distributed Version Control Systems (DVCS)
- Introducing Git
- Anatomy of a Git Repository
- Sharing Code With Git
- Merging and Branching in Git
- Git Workflows
- Git Tools
- Git Uses
- Source Control Tools
Chapter 6: Git Katas
Git Kata 1: New Local Repository
- Step 1: Initialize a New Repository
- Step 2: Stage Changes to a Repository
- Step 3: Commit Changes to a Repository
- Step 4: Making and Committing Changes to a File
Git Kata 2: Branches
- Step 1: Listing and Creating Branches
- Step 2: Switching Between Branches
- Step 3: Committing to a Branch
Git Kata 3: Merging
- Step 1: Merge Changes Between Branches
- Step 2: Merging Branches With Divergent Histories
Git Kata 4: Merge Conflicts
Step 1: Modify the File in the
Step 2: Modify the File in
- Step 3: Merge and Resolve Conflicts
- Step 1: Modify the File in the
Git Kata 5: Run a Git Server
- Step 1: Install Gogs
- Step 2: Create Admin Account
- Step 3: Create a Repository
- Step 4: Add Users
- Step 5: Set Repository Permissions
Git Kata 6: Remote Repositories
- Step 1: Initialize a New Repository
- Step 2: Add a Remote Repository
- Step 3: Push Commits to a Remote Repository
Git Kata 7: Collaboration
- Step 1: Clone and Configure the Repository
- Step 2: Make Changes as Ken and Push
- Step 3: Make Changes as Carrie and Push
- Step 4: Final Edits as Ken
Git Kata 8: Repository Forking and Pull Requests
- Step 1: Create Cody’s Account in Gogs
Step 2: Transfer the
web-storelistRepository to Cody
- Step 3: Log in as Ken and Create a Fork
- Step 4: Review the Pull Request as Cody and Accept
- Git Kata 1: New Local Repository
Chapter 7: Continuous Integration and Jenkins
- Continuous Integration
- Introducing Jenkins
Chapter 8: Jenkins Katas
Jenkins Kata 1: Setup
- Step 1: Get the Administrator Key
- Step 2: Install Jenkins
- Step 3: Create Administrative User
- Step 4: Start the Gogs Git Server
Jenkins Kata 2: Create A Job
- Step 1: Create a New Job
- Step 2: Set up Source Control Parameters
- Step 3: Run the Job
Jenkins Kata 3: Build Steps
- Step 1: Add a Build Step
- Step 2: Build Step Result Codes
Jenkins Kata 4: Automated Testing
- Step 1: Add a Build Step to Run the Test
- Step 2: Make the Test Fail
- Step 3: Fix the Code
Jenkins Kata 5: Integrate Git With Jenkins
- Step 1: Install the Gogs Webhook Plugin
- Step 2: Configure A Build Trigger
- Step 3: Configure the Webhook in Gogs
- Step 4: Test the Trigger
- Step 5: Trigger a Job With a Push
Jenkins Kata 6: Docker Container Build Step
- Step 1: Add a Dockerfile
- Step 2: Install the Docker Plugin
- Step 3: Run a Private Docker Registry
- Step 4: Add a Docker Build Step
Jenkins Kata 7: Deploying Containers
- Step 1: Add the Build Pipeline Plugin
- Step 2: Define A DEV Environment Deployment Job
- Step 3: Configure the DEV Deployment Job Trigger
- Step 4: Define A QA Environment Deployment Job
- Step 5: Define a Production Deployment Job
- Step 6: Add a Pipeline View
- Jenkins Kata 1: Setup
DevOps Katas Practice Pages
Docker Katas Practice Pages
- Docker Kata 1: The Basic Commands
- Docker Kata 2: Disconnected Containers
- Docker Kata 3: Container Volumes and Filesystem
- Docker Kata 4: Running a Web Server in a Container
- Docker Kata 5: Docker Networking
- Docker Kata 6: Creating Docker Images
Git Katas Practice Pages
- Git Kata 1: New Local Repository
- Git Kata 2: Branches
- Git Kata 3: Merging
- Git Kata 4: Merge Conflicts
- Git Kata 5: Run a Git Server
- Git Kata 6: Remote Repositories
- Git Kata 7: Collaboration
- Git Kata 8: Repository Forking and Pull Requests
Jenkins Katas Practice Pages
- Jenkins Kata 1: Setup
- Jenkins Kata 2: Create a Job
- Jenkins Kata 3: Build Steps
- Jenkins Kata 4: Automated Testing
- Jenkins Kata 5: Integrate Git With Jenkins
- Jenkins Kata 6: Docker Container Build Step
- Jenkins Kata 7: Deploying Containers
- Docker Katas Practice Pages
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
9 Books-Bundle: Shut Up and Code!
9 Books"Shut up and code." Laughter in the audience. The hacker had just plugged in his notebook and started sharing his screen to present his super-smart Python script. "Shut up and code" The letters written in a white literal coding font on black background was the hackers' home screen background mantra. At the time, I was a first-year computer...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab