Detecting and Solving Memory Problems in .NET
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2016-04-04
About the Book
This book is a collection of tips and trick mostly published previously in the form of blog posts and tutorials, and is centered around working efficiently with memory management in .NET. The content is based on the experience we've had here at JetBrains when developing such well-known products as ReSharper, dotCover, dotTrace, dotMemory and others. In other words, this book is our vision of best practices in finding and solving memory issues in .NET applications.
JetBrains Technical Series
- About This Book
- How the Book Is Organized
- About the Author
Why Should I Care about Memory?
- Types of Memory Issues
- How Can I Find These Issues?
- What Does Memory Profiling Look Like Exactly?
- What Tools Do I Need?
- How .NET Stores Objects in Memory
- Who Retains the Object? A Common Approach of Detecting Memory Leaks
- What If a Leak Is Not Obvious? Automatic Inspections
- How to Fight
- What If There Is Nothing Suspicious in the Object’s Retention Path? GC Roots
High Memory Traffic
- How Garbage Collection Works
- Considerations on Fighting High Memory Traffic
- Things Worth Looking For
Ineffective Memory Usage
- Who Retains Memory?
- What Methods Allocate the Most Memory?
- Things Worth Looking For
Memory Profiling in Unit Tests
- How It Works
- When to Use dotMemory Unit
- Example 1. Checking for Specific Objects
- Example 2. Selecting Objects by a Number of Conditions
- Example 3. Checking Memory Traffic
- Example 4. Complex Scenarios for Checking Memory Traffic
- Example 4: Comparing Snapshots
Memory Profiling in Continuous Integration
- Integration with JetBrains TeamCity
- dotMemory and dotTrace
This book is published on Leanpub by JetBrains
We help developers work faster by automating common, repetitive tasks to enable them to stay focused on code design and the big picture. We provide tools to explore and familiarize with code bases faster. Our products make it easy for you to take care of quality during all stages of development and spend less time on maintenance tasks.
Our JetBrains Technical Series of books focuses on general computer science topics as well as tooling.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.