A Beginner's Guide to Deploying Rails
This book is 40% complete
Last updated on 2015-06-16
About the Book
Most tutorials just settle with teaching you how to deploy your Rails apps to Heroku. This is unfortunate, since you're missing out on so many things when you don't know how to setup your own server from scratch.
This book will guide you as you take your first steps into deploying your projects on bare VPSs.
Half of the book is free to download and read online; it covers just enough for you to deploy your app.
Introduction: Beyond Heroku
- Who is this book for?
Practicing for Linux Deployment
- Setting up a practice VirtualBox Virtual Machine
- Additional Sever Setup
Overview of Web Application Server Systems
- Serving Static and Dynamic Web Content
- How to Serve Content from Ruby Applications
Installing Phusion Passenger
- Installing Ruby
- Installing nginx + Passenger
Deploying Ruby Web Applications to Passenger
- A Quick Look at nginx Server Settings
- Deploying a Simple Sinatra App
- Deploying a Simple Rails App
Redeploying Rails Apps on Passenger
- Modifying the Rails App
- Adding File Upload with Carrierwave
- Simplifying Deployment with Mina
Deploying on a VPS
- Overview of Popular VPS Providers
- Setting Up Your Custom Domain
- Improving Serving of Assets
- Sending Mail via Postfix
- Rotating Logs
- Scheduling Jobs
A Completely Different Stack
- Ruby: using rbenv instead of Brightbox packages
- Server: Using Puma instead of Passenger
- Process management: Upstart instead of init
- Secrets: Environment Variables instead of hardcoded files
- Deployment: Capistrano instead of Mina
Further Complicating our New Stack
- Elasticsearch and Searchkick
- ActiveJob, Redis, and Sidekiq
Your next steps
- Automated Provisioning - Ansible
- Lightweight Containers - Docker
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...