Pragmatic Debian Packaging
Pragmatic Debian Packaging
About the Book
This book teaches you how Debian Packages are structures, and different approaches to creating your own packages.
While the official Debian documentation focuses on creating packages that conform to all Debian policies, this work quickly gets you started on creating packages that work at all, and that work well in your environment.
- 1.1 Target Audience and Prerequisites
- 1.2 Typographic Conventions
- 1.3 Contents
2. Debian Packages in Context
- 2.1 Package Managers, Repositories and the Pull Model
- 2.2 Repository Mirrors and Package Signing
- 2.3 Source Packages and Binary Packages
- 2.4 Upstream
- 2.5 dpkg, Apt and other Frontends
- 2.6 Summary
3. What’s in a Debian Package?
- 3.1 The File Name
- 3.2 Contents
- 3.3 Summary
4. Quick Package Construction with fpm
- 4.1 Installing fpm
- 4.2 Example Package Conversion
- 4.3 Discussion
5. The Debian Build System
- 5.1 A Minimal Package
- 5.2 Build Sequences and Steps
- 5.3 Installing Programs
- 5.4 Adding Special Files
- 5.5 Summary
6. Debian Packaging Quick Start
6.1 Starting a Debian Project with
- 6.2 Language Specific Package Creation Tools
- 6.3 Summary
- 6.1 Starting a Debian Project with
7. Multi-Package Builds
- 7.1 Multi-Package Example
- 7.3 Using Separate Build Targets
- 7.4 Summary
8. Repository Management
- 8.1 Repository Layout
- 8.2 Repository Management Software
- 8.3 Common Prerequisites
- 8.4 Repository Management with aptly
- 8.5 Summary
9. Package and Repository Integrity
- 9.1 Integrity From the End User’s Perspective
- 9.2 Integrity From the Debian Project’s Perspective
- 9.3 Summary
- 10. That’s It!
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.