Hands-on Domain-driven Design - by example
Hands-on Domain-driven Design - by example
Domain-driven Design practically explained with a massive case study
About the Book
This book is a modern, in-depth explanation of the principles of Domain-driven Design. The book has a writing style that is easy to understand, explaining the theory and boasts numerous exercises and examples. The exercises and sample solutions build on a high-quality, complex case study on mortgage loans. This detailed case study is the basis for all the practical explanations in the book.
The book focuses on topics such as collaboration with domain experts, agility and strategic design. It discusses in detail how we can use knowledge crunching methods to shape communication with non-technical stakeholders in order to derive an Ubiquitous Language. The book also explains how the ideas of agility harmonize with the iterative modeling activity of Domain-driven Design. In the field of strategic design, the book discusses the connections between domains, sub-domains and bounded contexts. It also illustrates how bounded contexts can relate to microservices architectures. In addition, the book is very detailed and, above all, practice-oriented on the subject of context maps, including a consistent suggestion for graphical representation. However, this does not mean that topics such as tactical design with its internal building blocks are neglected. In this part, patterns such as Entity, Value Object, Aggregate, Domain Event, Service, Factory and Repository are examined and explained using detailed examples. The book also deals with architectural patterns such as hexagonal architecture, sometimes also known as onion architecture, and also discusses the advantages and disadvantages of such approaches. The book is rounded off by a chapter on implementation aspects using Java with Spring Boot, which leads to a complete implementation of the case study.
The current release / version of Hands-on Domain-driven Design - by example offers:
- A sophisticated, high quality case study
- An easy to understand writing style
- Many exercises with solutions that weigh in on the pros and cons of the design options given
- Tips & Tricks with best practices for the collaboration with business domain experts and other non-technical folks
- A broad overview of knowledge crunching techniques such as Event Storming, Domain Storytelling, User Story Mapping and Behavior-driven Design (Example Mapping)
- An overview how Domain-driven Design relates to agile principles and practices such as Continuous Delivery and DevOps
- A very detailed explanation of everything related to strategic design starting with domains, subdomains and bounded contexts including a deep dive into the identification of bounded contexts
- Covers how to transfer the idea of a bounded context towards microservice architectures
- A practice-oriented description of the context map, which depicts relationships between systems and their teams in a holistic way. This description is clearly focused on the practical use of the context map and is rounded off by a coherent, consistent graphical representation
- Explanations to the patterns for tactical design including entity, value object, aggregate, service, repository, domain event and factory
- Architectural patterns such as the hexagonal architecture
Currently working on:
- CQRS subchapter
- Explanation of the implementation of the case study with Java and Spring Boot
About the current status:
I am aware that I am behind my planned schedule, however I am committed to finalizing this book within the next few months. Thanks for your patience.
- 1.1 What is Domain-driven Design about?
- 1.2 Disclaimer: Do not become a blind Domain-driven Design guru
- 1.3 Ways to read this book
- 1.4 Overview of the chapters
- 1.5 Acknowledgements
2. Introducing Big Pug Loans
- 2.1 About the Big Pug Bank
- 2.2 Business Overview
- 2.3 Applicants and customers
- 2.4 Mortgage Loan Application
- 2.5 Collateral Value and Market Value Comparison
- 2.6 Scoring
- 2.7 Document check
- 2.8 Credit Decision
- 2.9 Reactions after the credit decision has been made
- 2.10 Case Study Appendix
3. Cultural and organizational aspects of Domain-driven Design
- 3.1 Knowledge crunching
- 3.2 Techniques for Knowledge Crunching
- 3.3 The Ubiquitous Language
- 3.4 The role of the domain expert
- 3.5 Domain-driven Design and agile
- 3.6 Summary
4. Strategic Design
- 4.1 Ways to approach complexity
- 4.2 What is Strategic Design?
- 4.3 Problem vs Solution Space
- 4.4 Domains
- 4.5 Subdomains
- 4.6 Bounded Context
- 4.7 Context Maps
- 4.8 A Context Map for Big Pug Loans
- 4.9 Summary
5. Tactical Design
- 5.1 The domain model in a Bounded Context
- 5.2 Building Block Patterns
- 5.3 Software Architectures with Domain-driven Design
- 6. Implementation with Java and the Spring Ecosystem
- 7. Cited Literature
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...