Getting Started with Data Journalism
Getting Started with Data Journalism
Writing data stories in any size newsroom
About the Book
Getting started with data journalism does not require huge resources. The basic skills can help you develop data stories in any size newsroom.
This book outlines the skills that have helped power award-winning journalism. The majority of the examples in this book are actual stories which have been run in a regional newspaper, giving an idea of the kind of content data journalism skills can be used to generate.
This book will teach you how to:
- Source data for your projects
- Clean messy data
- Understand and analyse data
- Find the story in your data
- Create visualisations from maps to social interactives
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
2. Why Data Journalism
- Data skills and traditional skills
- Editorial planning for data
- Data to story to resource
3. Getting Started
What is data?
- The basics of data files and formats
- The basics of working with spreadsheets
- What is data?
4. Sources of Data
- Government Statistics
- Written answers
Freedom of Information (FOI)
- Making a request
- FOI Tips
- Who is covered in the England and Wales?
- What if I do not get the information I want?
- FOI Resources
- Very simple scraping
- Using Open Refine as a scraper
- Scraping resources
5. Understanding what the numbers might mean
- Who gathered the data?
- Watch out for small numbers and rare events
- Consider how reliable your data is
- What are the long-term trends?
- Don’t cherry-pick your data
- Be careful of what the numbers mean
6. Cleaning Data
- Bringing data together
- Getting data out of PDFs
- Tidying up messy spreadsheets
- Data on websites
- Lots of abbreviations
- Different words, all meaning the same thing
7. Getting the story out of the data
- Simple maths
- Doing Sums
- Formatting Cells
- Using Formulas
- Pivot Tables
- Data Mashups
8. Telling a Story with Visualisations
Choosing the right visualisation
- Graphs and Charts
- Some other things to remember
- Choosing the right visualisation
9. Visualising Data - Graphs and Charts
- Google Charts
- Getting Started
- Bar Charts
- Line Graphs
- Annotations and Reference Lines
- Live updating graphs
10. Visualising Data -Maps
- Simple maps
- Mapping with Tableau
- Google Fusion Tables
- Layered Maps
- Real-time Maps
11. Visualising Data - More Complex Visualisations
- Social interactives
- News Apps
- Data Analysis
- Where Next?
13. Appendix 1 - Full case studies
Bookies in Wales
- Finding data on bookies
- Making simple maps
- Bringing together bookies and deprivation
- Analysing your data
- Making a map to show the correlation
Children in Care
- Gathering data
- Tidier data
- Making a map
- Cleaning untidy data
- Cleaning untidier data
- Cleaning untidiest data
- Geolocating the parking tickets
- Visualising your data
Road accidents and casualties
- Merging the data
- Cleaning the data
- Visualising the data
School Spending on Temporary Staff
- Using pivot tables to clean data
- Merging data for better analysis
- Analysing the data
South Wales Police Helicopter
- Tidying up unstructured data
- Mapping your data
- Bookies in Wales
14. Appendix 2 - Useful Links
- Data journalism
- Finding Data
- Cleaning Data
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them