Choosing the Best Coding Bootcamp for You
This book is 90% complete
Last updated on 2013-08-29
About the Book
This brief guide is a tool to help you decide whether to attend an intense, full-time coding bootcamp (you may also know it as hacker bootcamp or programming school).
It is a big leap to quit your day job, and enroll in a full-time Coding Bootcamp. Should you take the plunge? The decision to attend can be financially expensive, and personally disruptive. And there are other related questions on your mind: Does it make sense move to a new City? Will I have a job after I graduate? Who will my classmates be? Do I really want to work as a software developer? How good a developer will I actually become after a full-time program? Couldn't I just learn to program on my own?
- A Toolkit for Your Decision
1 Getting In
- 1.1 Coding Exercises
- 1.2 New Exercise: Listen to Yourself
- 1.3 Admissions: Learning From Those Who Went Before Us
- 1.4 Geography: Does It Matter?
- 1.5 Class Size & Your Day In Life
- 1.6 About Changing Trends
2 How to Learn
- 2.1 Can You Learn on Your Own?
- 2.2 Pitfalls and Doubts
- 2.3 What Would a Senior Software Engineer Say?
- 3.1 A Panel Gathering
- 3.2 Coleman Foley, Hack Reactor in 2013
- 3.3 Erik, App Academy in 2013 (San Francisco)
- 3.4 Michelle Glauser, Hackbright in 2012
- 3.5 Simon, App Academy (San Francisco)
- 3.6 Dave Melin, App Academy July 2013 (San Francisco)
- 3.7 Scott Rogers, App Academy 2013 (New York)
- 3.8 Who Should Not Attend?
4 What is the ROI?
- 4.1 MBA vs. Coding School
- 4.2 Beyond ROI
5 On Getting a Job & Career
- 5.1 What Do Employers Want?
- 5.2 Do Job Descriptions Matter?
- 5.3 How do I find an ideal team?
- 5.4 How do I position myself?
- 5.5 Interviewing tips & techniques
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
7 About the author
- 7.1 Follow David @findinbay
Appendix: Applications Checklist
- Checklist of Things You Should Know or Ask
Appendix: List of Courses
- AIT Learning
- App Academy
- Bitmaker Labs
- Coding Dojo
- DaVinci Coders
- Dev Bootcamp
- The Flatiron School
- General Assembly
- Hackbright Academy (women-only Program)
- Hack Reactor
- Hacker School
- Starter League (Web Development)
Appendix: Prep Resources
- Further Reading
- Beginner Coding Tutorials
- Coding Blogs & Newsletters & Other Sites You Should Know
- Massive Open Online Courses
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.