Practical End 2 End Testing with CodeceptJS
This book is 90% complete
Last updated on 2019-05-30
About the Book
Easily automate manual tests. Be guided how to write and run automated end 2 end tests in CI and in the cloud successfully. The book is written for developers with technical background, technical basics are not explained, the book focuses on the main topic: Modern end to end testing tests with CodeceptJS.
The book does not explain WHY to use CodeceptJS nor its fundamentals.
I thought the sections on Installation and interfacing with BrowserStack and Allure were brilliant and I was able to implement those concepts at my job right away.
Paul really contributes to the CodeceptJS community and helps out where he can. With his book you make sure to start with CodeceptJS the right way.
davert (CodeceptJS Creator)
Not just a book! This is a path to successful test automation. It takes you from 0 tests to continuous testing on CI. Don't hesitate to step into this path! Thanks to CodeceptJS testing is not that hard as you expected.
1. Preparation for End 2 End Testing with CodeceptJS
- 1.1 Application, Feature & Scenario under Test
- 1.2 Node.js Setup
- 1.3 Java Setup
- 1.4 Google Chrome
- 2. Setup CodeceptJS with WebdriverIO
3. Create Your First CodeceptJS Test
- 3.1 Scenario Description
- 3.2 Test Steps
4. Run Your First CodeceptJS Test Locally
- 4.1 Start Selenium Server
- 4.2 Run the Test
5. Run Test on BrowserStack Against with the Safari Browser
- 5.1 Sign Up for a Free BrowserStack Account
- 5.2 Get BrowserStack Automate Credentials
- 5.4 Run Tests on BrowserStack
- 5.5 Install CodeceptJS BrowserStack Helper
6. How to Debug & Fix a Failing E2E Test
- 6.1 Debug Failing Safari Test Run - Ask the Right Questions
- 6.2 What does the error message really say?
- 6.3 What is the context of the error? Which exact steps led to the error?
- 6.4 Watch Video Recording on BrowserStack
- 6.5 Try to Reproduce the Failure Locally
- 6.6 Use CodeceptJS “pause()” to Start an Interactive Shell Session
- 6.7.1 Verify the Failing Locator Locally
- 6.7.2 Simulate “wait” with “pause()”
- 6.8 Try to factor out timing issues
- 6.9 More Tipps on Fixing Test Failures
- 6.9.1 Update to latest CodeceptJS version
- 6.9.2 Update to latest WebDriverIO version
- 6.9.3 Update to latest selenium-standalone & selenium version
- 6.9.4 Update to latest Browser Driver & Browser Version
- 6.9.5 Get a Better Understanding of your AUT
- 6.9.6 Screen Resolution
- 6.9.7 Ask for Help
7. Run a CodeceptJS Test in GitLab´s Continuous Integration (CI) Environment
- 7.1 GitLab CI & Git Repo Setup
- 7.2 Setup CI Chrome Test Run
- 7.3 GitLab CI Artifacts
- 8. Delicious Test Reports With Allure
9. Bonus Chapter
- 9.1 Refactor Your First Test to Page Object Usage
- 9.2 Use .env to remove BrowserStack credential duplication and store sensitive data
- 9.3 Switch between local Test Run and BrowserStack Test Run Locally
- 9.3 Run a Test against Multiple Browsers in the BrowserStack Cloud
- 9.4 Utilize BrowserStacks Raw Selenium Logs
- 9.5 Use WebStorm with Node.js Debugger to Dive into CodeceptJS
- 9.6 The best way to get help
10. More Info
- 10.1 Target Group
- 10.2 Context
Prison Yoga Project
You may never set foot in prison but you can change a prisoner's life.http://www.prisonyoga.org
The Prison Yoga Project is dedicated to bringing yoga and mindfulness to incarcerated and at risk populations in the US and worldwide.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.