Readable, Maintainable, Pleasurable C#
About the Book
This book will help you write cleaner, more maintainable, more readable, and more pleasurable C# code.
About The Author
Other Leanpub Books by Jason Roberts
- Keeping Software Soft
- C# Tips
- Pluralsight Courses
- Other Leanpub Books by Jason Roberts
- About this Book
- What is Clean C#?
- Why Clean C#?
Using this Book
- Code Samples
- Clean C# is a Spectrum
- Repeating What the Code Already Says
- Change Control Comments
- Comments as a Substitute for Self Documenting Code
- Commented-Out Code
- Pointless XML Documentation Comments
- Acceptable Use of Comments
Qualities of Clean Names
- Suitable Length
- Pronounceable Names
Naming Specific Items
- Method Parameters
- Generic Types Parameters
- Some General Rules
- Qualities of Clean Names
- Method Size and Clarity
- Cohesive Methods
- Mixing Abstraction Levels
- Action or Answering Methods
- Methods with Zero Parameters
- Methods with One Parameter
- Methods with Two Parameters
- Methods with Three Parameters
- Methods with More Than Three Parameters
- Refactoring to Reduce the Number of Parameters
- Output Parameters
- Named Arguments
- Boolean Switching Arguments
- Multiple Returns
- Code Duplication in Methods
- Methods with Side Effects
Structuring Programs for Readability
- Levels of Abstraction
- Method Level Abstractions
Errors and Exceptions
- Returning Error Codes
- Supplied Framework Exceptions
- Defining Custom Exceptions
Alternatives to Error Codes, Exceptions, and Returning Nulls
- Try Methods
- Special Case Design Pattern
- The Principle of Proximity
- The Principal of Similarity
- The Principal of Uniform Connectedness
- The Principal of Symmetry
Cohesion and Coupling
Qualities of Good Test
- Execution Speed
- Independent and Isolated
- Repeatable and Reliable
- Resilient to Production Code Changes
The Three Logical Phases of Tests
- The Arrange Phase
- The Act Phase
- The Assert Phase
- How Many Asserts?
- Simplifying Arrange Phase code with AutoFixture
- Qualities of Good Test
Building On Clean Code
- The Single Responsibility Principle (SRP)
- The Open Closed Principle (OCP)
- The Liskov Substitution Principle (LSP)
- The Interface Segregation Principle (ISP)
- Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
- Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY)
- You Aren’t Gonna Need It (YAGNI)
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.