Build Your Own Sinatra
Build Your Own Sinatra
About the Book
A book about Rack, Sinatra, Rails, and all the magical things in-between. Master the Rack spec, learn how to write plain Rack apps without a framework, learn how to write middleware, how to build a router, and more!
This is a book about the heart of Ruby frameworks, the Rack Webserver interface. It teaches you everything you need to know to build plain Ruby apps without any framework.
You should read it if
- You have ever wanted to learn how ruby frameworks work
- Want to build your own framework
- Want to modify and contribute to your favorite framework
- You are curious about stuff like env(), call(), and use()
- Have ever been perplexed at anything Sinatra or Rails did
What you will learn
- The Rack Server Interface
- How to construct a valid Rack application
- The APIs of Rack::Request and Rack::Response
- How the internals of Sinatra and other Ruby frameworks work
- How to write a router in Ruby and how routers compile route strings into RegEx
- How to write your own plain Rack applications without any framework
- How to compose Rack applications together and design a framework's API
- and more!
What you will build
1. Plain Ruby apps on Rack
You will build rack middleware and raw rack apps right on the metal. You will build a MVC app on top of Rack without any framework. No Rails, no Sinatra, no Cuba, no router, no framework of any kind just pure Rack.
2. A custom Ruby router
You will get to build your own router complete with matcher and splats support!
3. A Ruby Microframework
You will be walked through how to build a microframework called Eldr. Eldr is a simple, flexible, and clear framework without any magic.
- What We Will Build
- The Structure of this Book
- Commits, Notes, Warnings and Tips
Setting up a Ruby Dev Environment
- On OS X
- On Ubuntu
- Hello World
- Inside Rack’s env
MVC on Rack
- Tasks Controller
- A Better Controller
- A Quick Look at Better Views
- Multiple Controllers
Building a Router
- Building a Simple Router
- Building a More Advanced Router
Designing Your Framework
- The API
Building Your Framework
- Basic Architecture
- Route Handling
- Putting it Together
- Instance Variables
Patterns With Your Framework
- Hello World
- Rendering a Template
- Before/After Filters
- Rails Style Routing
- Rails Style Requests
- Error Handling
- Error Catching
- Access Control
- Using Rack inside Eldr
- Redirecting Things
- Route Handlers: The Power of Action Objects
- Testing Eldr Apps
- The End
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.