Building a Web Site on Heroku
Building a Web Site on Heroku
Learn Ruby on Rails Tutorial
About the Book
Building and hosting a web site has never been easier than it is today. This book will walk you through launching a new Ruby on Rails web site on the Heroku hosting provider. The focus is on shipping early and often, and utilizing pre-existing tools and Rails conventions to accomplish a lot with very little code. By the end of chapter one, you'll have a web site live on the Internet suitable to share with your mother, and the rest of the book will cover:
- Twitter's Bootstrap 3 framework
- Using the Devise gem for authentication / user management
- Creating a landing page email catcher (like what KickoffLabs sells you)
- Accepting payments with Stripe
- Setting up recurring payments
- Integrating Google Analytics / Google AdWords
- ... and more! (message the author with suggestions)
Is this book right for you? It's been written with the following readers in mind:
- Rails programmers who haven't launched a new app from scratch
- web programmers, but no Rails experience
- programmers, but no web programming experience
- non-programmers who have tech savvy and aren't scared of Terminal
A note on the pace of this book:Depending on your experience, the sample chapter might seem like it's going at a very fast pace -- and it is, but on purpose. The goal of the first chapter is to leave you with a meaningful result: a hosted web site on the internet you can view in any browser. Shipping is exciting, and I want the reader to be just excited about learning how to build web sites as I am about teaching. The following chapters will take more time to explain what's happening and why we're doing things the way we are
Follow on Twitter to receive news and special promotions!
Hitting the Ground Running
- Creating a new Rails application
- Deploying to Heroku
- Getting started with HTML and CSS
- Graduating to HAML and SCSS
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.