Developing an HTML5 Brick-breaker Game With Phaser (The Book + Code)
Developing an HTML5 Brick-breaker Game With Phaser
About the Book
This book is intended to be a practical introduction to HTML5 game development using the Phaser framework by developing a complete game with well-known mechanics. It is bundled with all the necessary assets, so we can focus on the code and not finding extra resources, or developing "programmer artwork".
By the end of the book, you'll have learned to:
- Set up an organized file structure for developing games for the web
- Create a blank game and test everything runs OK
- Import images and sounds
- Show and move sprites on the screen
- Manage a group of sprites
- Play sound effects and background music
- Show text on the screen with custom web fonts
- Handle touch and keyboard input
- Detect collisions and use the Arcade physics system
- How to start using the particle system
- Manage game states
- Create a "loading" screen
- Optimize the game for mobile devices
You can play the game online on itch.io at: http://pctroll.itch.io/html5-breaker
The Book + Code
- What you will learn
- Target audience
- Development tools
0 Project setup
- 0.1 File system
- 0.2 Empty game
1 Developing mechanics
- 1.1 Paddle
- 1.2 Bricks
- 1.3 Ball
- 1.4 Background and text
- 1.5 Sound and additional rules
2 Handling states
- 2.1 Intro screen
- 2.2 Over screen
- 2.3 Main screen changes
- 3.1 Extra sounds and animations
- 3.2 Custom fonts
- 3.3 Particles
- 3.4 Load screen
- 3.5 Go mobile
- 3.6 Release!
4 Wrap up
- It’s just the beginning of the journey
- More ideas and inspiration
- More about the author
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.