BRAVE Language Learning
Last updated on 2017-03-26
About the Book
Who is this book for?
It is for you, if you want to think a bit more creatively about learning a foreign language. It is for people who fall in love with all the language all the time - and whose motivation for becoming multilingual is the sheer pleasure of having a whole new world in their heads, ears, lungs, and on their tongue. It is for you, it you're keen to learn a language your way. The book was written by a person who learned, taught, published and managed language education for over 20 years - you don't even need 10% of this time to develop your taste for languages, your budget and your way of learning. If you're determined to have a great time using your new language - then this book will help you do that. Finally - this book is for you if you're a bit let down by what foreign language learning has to offer.
How does this book work?
The first part of the book deals with the "why" - it's a pep-talk, a bird's eye view on language learning and teaching.
The second part is the "how" - these are shorter, practical reviews of several popular and effective methods of achieving multilingual life.
The third part is the workbook - that's how you can make sure that each lesson works for your situation and your chosen languages.
The bonus chapters are available online from a password-protected page. Head on to the end of the book for instructions on how to access those!
SECTION 1: The “WHY”
- McLanguage: Here’s what I did with folks like you in language schools
- 5 magic phrases in language learning - and 5 uncomfortable questions
- Meet a Brave Language Learner
- Why you must choose your syllabus
- Why You Must Roll Your Own Materials
- Why you must hire (and fire) your own teachers
- Why You Must Pick Your Own Tests
- What’s In It For You? Benefits of Brave Learning
SECTION 2: The “HOW”
- Free Basics 1: Duolingo
- Free Basics 2: Memrise
- Free Basics 3: Street
- Monolingual dictionaries
- Online newspapers
- Online TV
- Culture Centres
- Creative Commons
- VOIP Exchange
- Street, again
SECTION 3: THE WORKBOOK
- I. McLanguage: Here’s what I did with folks like you in language schools
- II. 5 Magic Phrases in language learning - and 5 Uncomfortable questions
- III. Meet a Brave Language Learner
- IV. Why you must choose your own syllabus
- V. Why You Must Roll Your Own Materials
- VI. Why You Must Hire (and Fire) Your Own Teachers
- VII. Why You Must Pick Your Own Tests
- VIII. What’s In It For You? The Benefits of Brave Language Learning
- IX. Extra resources
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.