How Top Nonprofit CEOs and Board Chairs Get Happy, Fall in Love, and Change Their World
About the Book
Change begins in conversation with your most important partner
The Dayton Foundation went from near-anonymity to a major player in public-school revitalization and the nation's second-largest community grantmaker. The Lincoln Children's Zoo transformed its CEO's role to fuel fantastic financial success.
At the center of these stories: Transformational partnerships between the CEO and board chair. Every nonprofit should have a transformational partnership like these. Tragically, dysfunction locks too many nonprofit leaders in cycles of mutual agony. They survive by counting down the days until the sweet embrace of term limits takes them away.
This book provides the blueprint CEOs and board chairs need to stop counting down the days left and start counting up accomplishments. When they do, they'll stop surviving and start thriving, and their communities will thrive with them.
Changing the world really is better together.
- Praise for Better Together
Tour of Duty, or Transformational Change?
- The Tragedy of Poor Relationships
- Thriving, Not Surviving
- The Micromanaging Chair from Hell
- The Short-Time Calendar
- Why I Wrote This Book
- Controllable Factor Holding Back Nonprofits
- What’s in This Book
- Who This Book’s For
- Start the Transformation with Two Questions
Why Happiness and Love Matter
- Happiness and Engagement
- HAPIE Leadership Pairs
- Happiness Isn’t “Soft”
- Happiness Changes Lives
- Greek Love
- Loving Your Leadership Partner
Why Leadership Partnerships Matter
- Transformational Leadership Partnerships
- Happiness for the Chief Executive and Board Chair
- Challenges to Happiness
- Effects of Healthy, Happy Partnerships
- Accomplishing the Mission—Or Not
How Leadership Partnerships Work Best
- Key 1: Trust and Transparency
- Key 2: Clear Expectations
- Key 3: Frequent Communication
- From Poor to Transformational
- Spreading the Love
- The Fourth Key: Being Real
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
- Community CROPS
- Cowichan Green Community
- The Dayton Foundation
- The HUB
- Lincoln Children’s Zoo
- NeighborWorks Lincoln
- Partnership Jumpstart
- Better Together: The Companion Workbook
- Help Me Improve the 2nd Edition
Services for Nonprofits
- Executive Coaching
- Strategic Planning
- Team Building
- Internal Communication
- Better Together (workshop version)
- Better Together (general educational version)
- Advance Your Career through Nonprofit Board Service
- Making Rock Stars for Mission Impact
- About the Author
- Contact Me
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.