Last updated on 2014-05-04
About the Book
Marna has a PhD in theoretical physics. So does Tess. Marna is unhappy because nobody will pay attention to her theory of quantum displacement. Tess is unhappy because everybody is paying attention to her husband's reverse camera, Aremac. Half the FBI thinks Roger has the answer to the terrorism problem. The other half thinks he's a terrorist.
Marna husband, Karl, a talented painter, is an alcoholic, and never paints anything. Roger rarely drinks, but invents everything.
Aremac threatens to overturn the world of jurisprudence, because it can project pictures from inside the human brain. Police use Aremac to free the innocent and convict the guilty. Marna's theory imperils the entire human economic system by offering perpetual power at virtually zero cost.
The entire world wants control over these inventions. They will go to any length to get them, but first they would have to defeat Tess and Marna's team of geniuses.
Reviewer Mike Shepherd, author of the Kris Longknife series said: "A gripping story ripped from tomorrow's headlines. A great cast of characters, not one of them afraid to be smart ... and with 'tude to spare. A fun read as a familiar name in books takes a swing at the novel ... and scores a home run!"
Peter Sykes, in Sci-Fi Lists, added: "Computer hall of famer Jerry Weinberg proves a natural at writing sci-fi in this breakneck techno-thriller. The FBI gets interested when grad students Tess Myers and the nerdy but somewhat brilliant Roger Fixman develop a machine that can take snapshots of memories. With double-dealing agents, atypical terrorists and a dash of humor Weinberg's proficiency in physics and communication sciences comes to the fore. As with all good thrillers readers are kept guessing for a while until it comes time to sit back, hold on and enjoy the final run home.
- Even small mouse has anger
- I had nothing to do with it
- We are not paying you to fail
- Arnie says we’ll beat them, eventually
- He doesn’t like to see me cry
- How much is “a little torture”The Limited was scheduled to arrive at eight-thirty, but Tess asked Denise to drop her off at Union Station forty-five minutes early She wanted time in case she changed her mind about meeting Inga Steinman. Denise, her long black hair done up in an elaborate knot, offered to stay and give moral support, but Tess refused the offer. It’s because I need support that I want to do this alone. I need the practice.
- That’s nice, dear
- We can never take a government deal
- Something that screens out calls from idiots
- I’m a half breed, like your husband
- You nippers are giving me a blinder
- Einstein says fat is relative
- Fear is controlled by the medial prefrontal cortex
- What are you selling?
- He said he was playing poker
- You’re the world’s greatest manipulator
- Yes, sometimes he kicks me
- Did she make any other contacts?
- They must have fifty digits each
- I want you to read my code
- Maybe I’m truly chasing a phantom
- Why does it have to be random?
- What’s so funny about magnesium?
- You would give up a sure Nobel Prize
- Bigger than Aremac? What could that be?
- Dongle? Is that like a dangle?
- What is this place? Some kind of sweatshop?
- Can you tell who they are?
- No system can be entirely closed
- Speak Navajo
- What headaches?
- Let’s just say you won’t need your retirement plan
- That’s faster than a speeding bullet
- You had her spying on me?
- We have a warrant
- Are we really running out of money?
- Money is okay, but just money is not
- What do you mean, no constitutional rights in here?
- I’m not one to smooth over the truth
- Please don’t throw me in the briar patch
- It’s getting to be quite a kludge
- Thinking is all I can do, strapped to this gurney
- If this baby blows, I could lose half my new building
- It’s a real system diagram
- I thought you Syrians knew all about rugs
- This time, they might not spare Heidi
- These two looked like federal agents
- Enough waffling
- Where am I going to get a rock?
- They’ll no doubt try to kidnap you again
- All Indians look alikeâ€“even if they’re Arabs
- I think we’re being watched
- I love watching ice melt
- I think she’s gone nuts
- Aremac 2
- Stay with us until New Jersey
- You might save a life
- Tess didn’t really believe about the danger of pirates
- She doesn’t want to look too carefully at Nascha’s jewelry
- If the pirate comes through that door, you shoot first
- Why did you put a Navajo woman in the snood?
- I waited on four FBI agents
- There aren’t that many phones to tap in Crownpoint
- Well, then is that him waving to us?
- Three men are accused of rape
- The nose ring must be removed
- It melted the insides into a lump
- The judge gave a speech, translated as “guilty
- Tell me exactly what didn’t work
- Didn’t you tell her about the anti torture system?
- I’ll come see you as soon as I can
- I don’t believe Alicia would like that
- My weapon is under the seat somewhere
- The needle’s resting on the pin already
- You have to leave right away
- We’re in deep troubleâ€“no time for pouting
- All I need now is for Karl to show up
- They couldn’t see the lion yet
- Here, while I get the face putty ready
- They haven’t hit us yet
- He would hear you better if you didn’t talk
- It’s a totally minimal bridge
- Your associates have been captured
- Your associates have been captured
- About thirty reasons, not counting the crocodiles
- The FBI is coming to arrest you
- That’s not the problem I’m trying to solve
- Dr Savron is the only one who can do that.
- Maybe we can dodge the crocs
- There’s no felony
- We’re out of the frying pan into the fire–again
- There’s nothing I can do about it now
- The men seemed to love big women
- Whatever happened to patriotism?
- No, that’s a whole lot of money
- He wanted to know if you used to beat me
- I wouldn’t trust her
- Other Books by Jerry Weinberg
- About the Author
- The Cover Artist
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.