About the Book
Marna has a PhD in theoretical physics. So does Tess. Marna is unhappy because nobody will pay attention to her theory of quantum displacement. Tess is unhappy because everybody is paying attention to her husband's reverse camera, Aremac. Half the FBI thinks Roger has the answer to the terrorism problem. The other half thinks he's a terrorist.
Marna husband, Karl, a talented painter, is an alcoholic, and never paints anything. Roger rarely drinks, but invents everything.
Aremac threatens to overturn the world of jurisprudence, because it can project pictures from inside the human brain. Police use Aremac to free the innocent and convict the guilty. Marna's theory imperils the entire human economic system by offering perpetual power at virtually zero cost.
The entire world wants control over these inventions. They will go to any length to get them, but first they would have to defeat Tess and Marna's team of geniuses.
Reviewer Mike Shepherd, author of the Kris Longknife series said: "A gripping story ripped from tomorrow's headlines. A great cast of characters, not one of them afraid to be smart ... and with 'tude to spare. A fun read as a familiar name in books takes a swing at the novel ... and scores a home run!"
Peter Sykes, in Sci-Fi Lists, added: "Computer hall of famer Jerry Weinberg proves a natural at writing sci-fi in this breakneck techno-thriller. The FBI gets interested when grad students Tess Myers and the nerdy but somewhat brilliant Roger Fixman develop a machine that can take snapshots of memories. With double-dealing agents, atypical terrorists and a dash of humor Weinberg's proficiency in physics and communication sciences comes to the fore. As with all good thrillers readers are kept guessing for a while until it comes time to sit back, hold on and enjoy the final run home.
- Even small mouse has anger
- I had nothing to do with it
- We are not paying you to fail
- Arnie says we’ll beat them, eventually
- He doesn’t like to see me cry
- How much is “a little torture”The Limited was scheduled to arrive at eight-thirty, but Tess asked Denise to drop her off at Union Station forty-five minutes early She wanted time in case she changed her mind about meeting Inga Steinman. Denise, her long black hair done up in an elaborate knot, offered to stay and give moral support, but Tess refused the offer. It’s because I need support that I want to do this alone. I need the practice.
- That’s nice, dear
- We can never take a government deal
- Something that screens out calls from idiots
- I’m a half breed, like your husband
- You nippers are giving me a blinder
- Einstein says fat is relative
- Fear is controlled by the medial prefrontal cortex
- What are you selling?
- He said he was playing poker
- You’re the world’s greatest manipulator
- Yes, sometimes he kicks me
- Did she make any other contacts?
- They must have fifty digits each
- I want you to read my code
- Maybe I’m truly chasing a phantom
- Why does it have to be random?
- What’s so funny about magnesium?
- You would give up a sure Nobel Prize
- Bigger than Aremac? What could that be?
- Dongle? Is that like a dangle?
- What is this place? Some kind of sweatshop?
- Can you tell who they are?
- No system can be entirely closed
- Speak Navajo
- What headaches?
- Let’s just say you won’t need your retirement plan
- That’s faster than a speeding bullet
- You had her spying on me?
- We have a warrant
- Are we really running out of money?
- Money is okay, but just money is not
- What do you mean, no constitutional rights in here?
- I’m not one to smooth over the truth
- Please don’t throw me in the briar patch
- It’s getting to be quite a kludge
- Thinking is all I can do, strapped to this gurney
- If this baby blows, I could lose half my new building
- It’s a real system diagram
- I thought you Syrians knew all about rugs
- This time, they might not spare Heidi
- These two looked like federal agents
- Enough waffling
- Where am I going to get a rock?
- They’ll no doubt try to kidnap you again
- All Indians look alikeâ€“even if they’re Arabs
- I think we’re being watched
- I love watching ice melt
- I think she’s gone nuts
- Aremac 2
- Stay with us until New Jersey
- You might save a life
- Tess didn’t really believe about the danger of pirates
- She doesn’t want to look too carefully at Nascha’s jewelry
- If the pirate comes through that door, you shoot first
- Why did you put a Navajo woman in the snood?
- I waited on four FBI agents
- There aren’t that many phones to tap in Crownpoint
- Well, then is that him waving to us?
- Three men are accused of rape
- The nose ring must be removed
- It melted the insides into a lump
- The judge gave a speech, translated as “guilty
- Tell me exactly what didn’t work
- Didn’t you tell her about the anti torture system?
- I’ll come see you as soon as I can
- I don’t believe Alicia would like that
- My weapon is under the seat somewhere
- The needle’s resting on the pin already
- You have to leave right away
- We’re in deep troubleâ€“no time for pouting
- All I need now is for Karl to show up
- They couldn’t see the lion yet
- Here, while I get the face putty ready
- They haven’t hit us yet
- He would hear you better if you didn’t talk
- It’s a totally minimal bridge
- Your associates have been captured
- Your associates have been captured
- About thirty reasons, not counting the crocodiles
- The FBI is coming to arrest you
- That’s not the problem I’m trying to solve
- Dr Savron is the only one who can do that.
- Maybe we can dodge the crocs
- There’s no felony
- We’re out of the frying pan into the fire–again
- There’s nothing I can do about it now
- The men seemed to love big women
- Whatever happened to patriotism?
- No, that’s a whole lot of money
- He wanted to know if you used to beat me
- I wouldn’t trust her
- Other Books by Jerry Weinberg
- About the Author
- The Cover Artist
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.
Learn ECMAScript 6 inside and out
2 BooksFor any technology, it helps to get multiple points of view on the functionality to get the best possible understanding. For ECMAScript 6/2015, no two resources are recommended more frequently thanExploring ES6by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer andUnderstanding ECMAScript 6by Nicholas C. Zakas. These two points of view, investigating the specification and...
Software architecture, for systems old and new
2 BooksThis bundle includes books about hands-on software architecture.