A Rack of Reviews
A Rack of Reviews
About the Book
A Rack of Reviews summarizes the author's studies over a number of years in a variety of academic categories. There are eviews on linguistics, anthropology, translation, explorations (particularly of PNG), missions, orality (with an additional annotated bibliography on the subject), philosophy, theology, American culture and some biographies and essays as well.
1. Linguistics and Language
- 1.1 Chafe on Discourse
- 1.2 Fauconnier and Turner on Conceptual Blending
- 1.3 Lakoff on Women, Fire and Dangerous Things
- 1.4 Turner on The Artful Mind
- 1.5 Huddleston and Pullman on English Grammar
- 1.6 Köveces on Metaphor
- 2.1 Chatterton on Papua
- 2.2 Holmes on “Primitive New Guinea”
- 2.3 Beaver on Unexplored New Guinea
- 2.4 Connolly and Anderson on First Contact (New Guinea Highlands)
- 2.5 Mead on Cultural Patterns
- 2.6 Endo on Silence
- 3.1 Esolen on Children’s Imagination
- 3.2 Lamb on The Art and Craft of Storytelling
- 3.3 Wasik on How Stories Live and Die
- 3.4 Haven on Story Proof
- 3.5 Denning on Springboard Stories
4. Anthropology and Cross Cultural Studies
- 4.1 Hiebert on Worldviews
- 4.2 Hughes on American Myths
- 4.3 Kraybill on the Renegade Amish
- 4.4 Pilch on Healing in the New Testament
- 4.5 Twiss on Rescuing the Gospel
5. Biography and Autobiography
- 5.1 Lynip on Pittman
- 5.2 Sanneh on Summoned From the Margin
- 5.3 Dreher on Dante
- 5.4 Pinsky on A Jew among the Evangelicals
- 5.5 Franklin on Moving into Translation
6. Biblical Culture and Themes
- 6.1 Carson on Christ and Culture
- 6.2 Crouch on Culture Making
- 6.3 T.S. Eliot on Christianity and Culture
- 6.4 Ehrman on the New Testament Canon
- 6.5 Jenkins on Laying Down the Sword
- 6.6 Ryken on How to Read the Bible
- 6.7 McKnight on Reading the Bible (The Blue Parakeet)
7. American Culture and Themes
- 7.1 Abramson and Haskell on Appalachia
- 7.2 Gawande on Being Mortal
- 7.3 Gay on Dialogue, Catalogue & Monologue
- 7.4 Nichols on Jesus Made in America
- 7.5 Prothero on Religious Literacy
8. Missions and Missiology
- 8.1 Lowney on Loyola
- 8.2 Prior on Vanuatu
- 8.3 Walls on Cross-Culture in Christian History
- 8.4 Walls on The Missionary Movement
- 8.5 David Brainerd
- 8.6 Sheard on An Orality Primer for Missionaries
- 9.1 Brunn on Bible Versions
- 9.2 Pike on Bible Translation
- 9.3 Hoffman on Mistranslations
- 9.4 C.S. Lewis on Modern Translations
- 9.5 Nida and Louw on Greek Semantic Domain Lexicon
10. Philosophy and Theology
- 10.1 Liethart on Postmoderns and Solomon
- 10.2 Malesic on Secret Faith
- 10.3 Newgigin on the Gospel in a Pluralistic Society
- 10.4 Ross on the Book of Job
- 10.5 Guinness on Christian Persuasion
- 10.6 Rosner on The Consolations of Theology
- 10.7 Bell and Wittmer on Hell
- 10.8 Chan and Sprinkle on Hell
- 11. Storytelling Annotated Bibliography
- 12. Published Reviews
This book is published on Leanpub by Pike Center
Pike Center for Integrative Scholarship is an initiative of SIL International that builds capacity for language development through scholarship. SIL works alongside ethnolinguistic communities as they discover how language development addresses the challenging areas of their daily lives—social, cultural, political, economic and spiritual.
One of Pike Center’s strategies for building capacity is to grow the needed bodies of knowledge through its Agile Publishing program. We are using this lean publishing platform to give our affiliated scholars a platform for developing and refining new contributions to growing bodies of knowledge that support the language development movement. Many of our titles are still in a preliminary stage of development. Others are finished but have such a narrow audience that we have not elected to turn them into print books. Still others have reached the maturity of becoming a print book; in such cases, this is indicated by a link on the landing page for the book.
All of the revenues generated through sales on this site are directed to the Pike Center to support the on-going research activities of its affiliated scholars. Naming a higher price when you purchase one of our books is a way of contributing to this cause. Or you may go to the Pike Center website to make a donation that will receive a tax-deductible receipt.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.