Ansible for Kubernetes
Ansible for Kubernetes
Automate app deployment on any scale with Ansible and K8s
About the Book
This book takes users on an automation journey—from building your first Kubernetes cluster with Ansible's help, to deploying and maintaining real-world, massively-scalable and highly-available applications.
- Who is this book for?
- Typographic conventions
Please help improve this book!
- Current Published Book Version Information
- About the Author
- In the beginning, there were servers
- The move to containers
- Ansible by Red Hat
- Kubernetes and the CNCF
- Examples Repository
- Ansible resources
- Kubernetes resources
Chapter 1 - Hello World!
- Installing Go
- Creating a ‘Hello world’ app in Go
- Building Hello Go
Deploying Hello Go in a container
Running Hello Go in Docker
- Building the container
- Running the container
- Hello Go app summary
- Running Hello Go in Docker
Deploying Hello Go in Kubernetes
- Installing Minikube
- Building the Hello Go container in Minikube
- Running Hello Go in Minikube
- Scaling Hello Go in Kubernetes
- Clean up Hello Go
- Hello, Go!
Chapter 2 - Automation brings DevOps bliss
- Installing Ansible
- Hello, Ansible!
- Running your first Ansible playbook
- Ansible 101 summary
Managing Kubernetes with Ansible
- Managing Minikube
- Building container images in Minikube with Ansible
- Managing Kubernetes resources with Ansible
Scaling Hello Go with Ansible
- Scaling via the existing Deployment spec
Scaling with Ansible’s
- Cleaning up Kubernetes resources with Ansible
- Ansible 101
Chapter 3 - Ansible manages containers
Ansible’s Docker modules
Pushing the container image to a registry
- Running a local container registry
Pushing an image to a Docker registry with
- Ansible Docker module summary
Building images using Ansible without a
- Relying on Roles from Ansible Galaxy
- Writing a Playbook to Build a Container Image
- Writing a Playbook to Test the Container Image
- Apache Solr container build summary
- Ansible’s Docker modules
Chapter 4 - Building K8s clusters with Ansible
Building a local Kubernetes cluster on VMs
- Prerequisites - Vagrant and VirtualBox
- A small Kubernetes cluster architecture
Vagrantfilefor local Infrastructure-as-Code
Building a Kubernetes cluster with Ansible
- Describing hosts with an inventory
- Becoming root in a playbook
- Building a server with roles
- Role configuration
- Running the cluster build playbook
- Testing the cluster with a deployment using Ansible
Debugging cluster networking issues
Fixing issues with Flannel and iptables
- Switching nftables to iptables-legacy
- Patching Flannel to use the right network interface
- Fixing issues with Flannel and iptables
- Local VM cluster summary
Building a cluster using Kubespray
- Building a cluster on VPSes using Kubespray
- Building a bare metal cluster using Raspberry Pis
- Building a local Kubernetes cluster on VMs
Chapter 5 - Build an AWS EKS Cluster with CloudFormation and Ansible
Managing AWS EKS clusters with CloudFormation
- CloudFormation template for VPC Networking
- CloudFormation template for an EKS Cluster
- CloudFormation template for an EKS Node Group
- Applying CloudFormation Templates with Ansible
- CloudFormation Templates
Authenticating to the EKS Cluster via
Deploying WordPress to the EKS Cluster
- Build the WordPress Kubernetes manifests
- Build an Ansible Playbook to deploy the manifests to EKS
- Point a custom domain at the WordPress ELB
- Run the playbook to deploy WordPress
- Managing AWS EKS clusters with CloudFormation
Chapter 6 - Manage a GKE Cluster with Terraform and Ansible
- Managing Google Cloud GKE clusters with Terraform
Chapter 7 - Development and CI Testing with Molecule, Kind, and Ansible
- Ansible playbook to deploy a Kubernetes Job
Add Molecule for development and testing
- Manage Kind with Molecule
- Test a playbook in Kind with Molecule
- Verify the playbook worked with Molecule
- Kubernetes CI Testing in GitHub Actions
Chapter 8 - Ansible’s Kubernetes integration
Chapter 9 - Hello Operator
- The Operator Pattern
- Go vs. Ansible-based Operators
- Your first Ansible-based Operator
- End-to-end testing for an Ansible-based Operator with Molecule
- Example: WordPress in EKS with an Operator
- Chapter 10 - The first real-world application
Appendix A - Using Ansible on Windows workstations
Method 1 - Use the Windows Subsystem for Linux / Bash on Ubuntu
- Installing Ansible inside Bash on Ubuntu
Method 2 - When WSL is not an option
- Set up an Ubuntu Linux Virtual Machine
- Log into the Virtual Machine
- Install Ansible
- Method 1 - Use the Windows Subsystem for Linux / Bash on Ubuntu
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...