The Coaching Booster
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2015-07-07
About the Book
Change (and adapting to it) needs to become an ingrained habit and this is a simple way to do so with any coaching technique.
Coaching is becoming widely acknowledged and people realize just how effective it can be.
Coaches use various types of tools and methods for life coaching, personal coaching, career coaching and many more…after all, Coaching is about getting the very best out of someone and enabling them to make decisions that will improve their life.
This book is a tool, a booster to use with all of these different coaching methods. It's a booster for coaching results, to allow every coach in every field and level of coaching, to take the coaching to a new level, suitable for dealing with a rapidly changing environment.
The world around us is changing, and fast. It is becoming more and more complicated and the pace of technological change is one of the highest in recorded history. Naturally, this new reality creates new challenges. The goals that we want to achieve, for example, can be ever-changing – and therefore seem unachievable.
To face these challenges, we need strategies that will help us regain a feeling of control over our goals, and help us reach them. We need ideas that will enable us grow and flourish, while at the same time help us face the uncertainties of change.
The need to develop new strategies and ideas, and adapt to changes, is at the heart of many coaching processes. Why? Because as coaches, we recognize our coachees' universal need to deal with change. They need to understand what needs to be changed, and they need to learn how to both preserve their newfound behavior so that it doesn't dissipate within a week or two, and how to easily change again when needed.
Based on Lean and Agile methods, our Coaching Booster teaches people how to see change as a habit, and embrace change as a way of life. This book will help people leave their comfort zone, turn dealing with new changes into a habit, and help them change our their habits effectively and quickly, all while demonstrating how it can be repeated in the future.
Lean and Agile methods boost productivity, promote innovation and have been tested (and proven) in real-life situations. They have achieved better results than any other method so far. The Booster also introduces a framework that helps you coach easier, working together with your coachees towards the goals they have developed themselves.
The Booster is written to be simple and intuitive, showing you how to simplify the complex environment of change in which we live. This makes it easier for us to set goals and establish a vision, as well as cope with changes.
It's not that the questions we ask, as coaches, are not suitable anymore; it's not that the goals and value we help the customer realize have lost their relevance; it’s the way we manage the flow that leads to achieving these goals that has become unsuitable for rapidly changing environments.
Anyone can use it, anyone can take the framework suggested, follow a few simple principles and apply it to any kind of coaching method.
This book was written out of our experience as Agile coaches, dealing with rapidly changing environments. All we did is merely collect these amazing tools and present them here for your use.
- 1. Foreword
2. About the authors
3. Dealing with change
- Boosting Coaching with Lean and Agile methods
- Our coaching Booster tools
- Move beyond the limitations of traditional coaching
4. Constant heartbeat
- So how exactly does this heartbeat work?
- Are small goals the trick?
- Why is routine good?
Perform the heartbeat action
- And the beat goes on…
- When was the last time you stopped to think?
- When, What, and How?
- Change gradually
- Get used to this routine
5. The Coaching Booster framework overview
- The Booster framework
- This routine blends into the entire coaching Booster framework
- 6. Keep It Simple
7. Value driven thinking
- Placing value at the center
Dealing with value
- Identify and define value
- Ask WIIFM, or, What’s In It For Me?
- Think Like a customer - Customers are important – but who are they?
- Getting priorities straight
Using Root Value Analysis
- Using 5 Whys
- Working toward gaining value
- Mapping The Value Stream
8. The personal discovery
- So how do we ‘discover ourselves’?
9. Taking the GROW model into the Booster framework
- GROW: Four development stages
- How we can use the Booster framework with the GROW model.
10. Creative ways to create our vision (“Where”) and our bank
- Taking SWOT Personally
- How to make a continuous desirable change in behavior with the E.T.F.B model.
- Why spiders can help you achieve your goals (or – knowing how far you come?!)
11. Inside the heartbeat – The Doing
- What is a heartbeat?
Planning the heartbeat
- A short definition of each heartbeat’s vision
- Planning the current work itself
The execution steps
- Daily activities
End of the heartbeat
- Demonstrate the heartbeat
- 12. Insights about Achieving Goals with the coaching Booster
13. Sizing up our bricks and tasks to complete
- Why is sizing up our tasks important?
- Principles for sizing your bricks and tasks
- And why am I talking about size?
- Work it small
- Gradual sizing
- Start with the end in mind
- Practical actions that can be applied to understanding a brick size
14. Failing is Part of it: How to Succeed in Making Mistakes?
- So how to succeed in making mistakes?
15. The Retrospective Session
- Why is it one of the greatest ways to deliver feedback?
- How is it done?
16. Continuous Improvement
- Learning, the Ability to Change and Agile & Lean
Continuous Improvement is a Mindset
- How – Kaizen Events
17. Practical Small Incremental Changes
- What then is the value derived from small steps?
- Plan, Do, Check, Act
- Understanding PDCA
- The right mindset for Kaizen and PDCA
18. Empowerment – The Secret Ingredient
Where does empowerment come from?
- Internal sources of empowerment
- External sources of empowerment
How to gain power?
- The mindset: “I am in charge of my own life. I am my own organizer. I can do this by myself.”
- Know the Limits of Your Coachee -â€“ Take small steps
- The basic principle of empowerment is to gain control over events.
The booster elements of empowerment
Which components of the Booster also increase empowerment?
- Value, waste, and empowerment
- Constant heartbeat, feedback, failing, small steps and change
- And what about visibility?
- Which components of the Booster also increase empowerment?
- Empowerment is not just about being, it’s about being great.
- Some Simple “Hacks”
- Where does empowerment come from?
19. Personal waste removing
8 Types Of Waste
- Intellect or Waste of Brainpower or talent (additional)
- Understand Waste
- Activity – Measuring Waste
- Intellect or Waste of Brainpower or talent (additional)
- 8 Types Of Waste
20. Can you live without goals?
- To set or not to set.
- So how can we deal with it?
- Let me tell you my story as an example.
21. Extra – What is a first coaching session anyway?
- Applying the values, principles and framework from the first meeting.
- Understanding the first meeting’s Definition of Done (DOD):
- The first session’s agenda and outline
- A final word about the mindest of a coach
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.