The Coaching Booster
The Coaching Booster
Coaching with Agile and Lean Methods
About the Book
Change (and adapting to it) needs to become an ingrained habit and this is a simple way to do so with any coaching technique.
Coaching is becoming widely acknowledged and people realize just how effective it can be.
Coaches use various types of tools and methods for life coaching, personal coaching, career coaching and many more…after all, Coaching is about getting the very best out of someone and enabling them to make decisions that will improve their life.
This book is a tool, a booster to use with all of these different coaching methods. It's a booster for coaching results, to allow every coach in every field and level of coaching, to take the coaching to a new level, suitable for dealing with a rapidly changing environment.
The world around us is changing, and fast. It is becoming more and more complicated and the pace of technological change is one of the highest in recorded history. Naturally, this new reality creates new challenges. The goals that we want to achieve, for example, can be ever-changing – and therefore seem unachievable.
To face these challenges, we need strategies that will help us regain a feeling of control over our goals, and help us reach them. We need ideas that will enable us grow and flourish, while at the same time help us face the uncertainties of change.
The need to develop new strategies and ideas, and adapt to changes, is at the heart of many coaching processes. Why? Because as coaches, we recognize our coachees' universal need to deal with change. They need to understand what needs to be changed, and they need to learn how to both preserve their newfound behavior so that it doesn't dissipate within a week or two, and how to easily change again when needed.
Based on Lean and Agile methods, our Coaching Booster teaches people how to see change as a habit, and embrace change as a way of life. This book will help people leave their comfort zone, turn dealing with new changes into a habit, and help them change our their habits effectively and quickly, all while demonstrating how it can be repeated in the future.
Lean and Agile methods boost productivity, promote innovation and have been tested (and proven) in real-life situations. They have achieved better results than any other method so far. The Booster also introduces a framework that helps you coach easier, working together with your coachees towards the goals they have developed themselves.
The Booster is written to be simple and intuitive, showing you how to simplify the complex environment of change in which we live. This makes it easier for us to set goals and establish a vision, as well as cope with changes.
It's not that the questions we ask, as coaches, are not suitable anymore; it's not that the goals and value we help the customer realize have lost their relevance; it’s the way we manage the flow that leads to achieving these goals that has become unsuitable for rapidly changing environments.
Anyone can use it, anyone can take the framework suggested, follow a few simple principles and apply it to any kind of coaching method.
This book was written out of our experience as Agile coaches, dealing with rapidly changing environments. All we did is merely collect these amazing tools and present them here for your use.
- 1. Foreword
2. About the authors
3. Dealing with change
- Boosting Coaching with Lean and Agile methods
- Our coaching Booster tools
- Move beyond the limitations of traditional coaching
4. Constant heartbeat
- So how exactly does this heartbeat work?
- Are small goals the trick?
- Why is routine good?
Perform the heartbeat action
- And the beat goes on…
- When was the last time you stopped to think?
- When, What, and How?
- Change gradually
- Get used to this routine
5. The Coaching Booster framework overview
- The Booster framework
- This routine blends into the entire coaching Booster framework
- 6. Keep It Simple
7. Value driven thinking
- Placing value at the center
Dealing with value
- Identify and define value
- Ask WIIFM, or, What’s In It For Me?
- Think Like a customer - Customers are important – but who are they?
- Getting priorities straight
Using Root Value Analysis
- Using 5 Whys
- Working toward gaining value
- Mapping The Value Stream
8. The personal discovery
- So how do we ‘discover ourselves’?
9. Taking the GROW model into the Booster framework
- GROW: Four development stages
- How we can use the Booster framework with the GROW model.
10. Creative ways to create our vision (“Where”) and our bank
- Taking SWOT Personally
- How to make a continuous desirable change in behavior with the E.T.F.B model.
- Why spiders can help you achieve your goals (or – knowing how far you come?!)
11. Inside the heartbeat – The Doing
- What is a heartbeat?
Planning the heartbeat
- A short definition of each heartbeat’s vision
- Planning the current work itself
The execution steps
- Daily activities
End of the heartbeat
- Demonstrate the heartbeat
- 12. Insights about Achieving Goals with the coaching Booster
13. Sizing up our bricks and tasks to complete
- Why is sizing up our tasks important?
- Principles for sizing your bricks and tasks
- And why am I talking about size?
- Work it small
- Gradual sizing
- Start with the end in mind
- Practical actions that can be applied to understanding a brick size
14. Failing is Part of it: How to Succeed in Making Mistakes?
- So how to succeed in making mistakes?
15. The Retrospective Session
- Why is it one of the greatest ways to deliver feedback?
- How is it done?
16. Continuous Improvement
- Learning, the Ability to Change and Agile & Lean
Continuous Improvement is a Mindset
- How – Kaizen Events
17. Practical Small Incremental Changes
- What then is the value derived from small steps?
- Plan, Do, Check, Act
- Understanding PDCA
- The right mindset for Kaizen and PDCA
18. Empowerment – The Secret Ingredient
Where does empowerment come from?
- Internal sources of empowerment
- External sources of empowerment
How to gain power?
- The mindset: “I am in charge of my own life. I am my own organizer. I can do this by myself.”
- Know the Limits of Your Coachee -â€“ Take small steps
- The basic principle of empowerment is to gain control over events.
The booster elements of empowerment
Which components of the Booster also increase empowerment?
- Value, waste, and empowerment
- Constant heartbeat, feedback, failing, small steps and change
- And what about visibility?
- Which components of the Booster also increase empowerment?
- Empowerment is not just about being, it’s about being great.
- Some Simple “Hacks”
- Where does empowerment come from?
19. Personal waste removing
8 Types Of Waste
- Intellect or Waste of Brainpower or talent (additional)
- Understand Waste
- Activity – Measuring Waste
- Intellect or Waste of Brainpower or talent (additional)
- 8 Types Of Waste
20. Can you live without goals?
- To set or not to set.
- So how can we deal with it?
- Let me tell you my story as an example.
21. Extra – What is a first coaching session anyway?
- Applying the values, principles and framework from the first meeting.
- Understanding the first meeting’s Definition of Done (DOD):
- The first session’s agenda and outline
- A final word about the mindest of a coach
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
9 Books-Bundle: Shut Up and Code!
9 Books"Shut up and code." Laughter in the audience. The hacker had just plugged in his notebook and started sharing his screen to present his super-smart Python script. "Shut up and code" The letters written in a white literal coding font on black background was the hackers' home screen background mantra. At the time, I was a first-year computer...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab