Agile for Non-Software Teams
Agile for Non-Software Teams
A Practical Guide for Your Journey
About the Book
Have you considered adopting an Agile way of working in your team?
Business agility does not mean using the same processes and practices as your software and IT teams. In fact, the specific practices don't matter. Agile is a way of thinking and making choices that can benefit marketing, HR, finance, all parts of the business.
This practical book will help you to...
- Decide where and how an Agile approach can help you serve the business better
- Customize and regularly improve an Agile way of working without having to be a process expert
- Avoid the many pitfalls that lead to mediocre performance or bounce-backs
- Feel confident about your choices, even if they are different from what your tech colleagues use
The book's foreword is by L. David Marquet, author of Turn the Ship Around!
“Despite emerging in the technology domain, there is nothing exclusively tech about Agile.” – Evan Leybourn, Founder & CEO, Business Agility Institute
“This book is written for the audience we always forget in Agile transformations: the non-software roles.” – David Dame, VP, Global Agile, Scotiabank
“Gil has managed to make Agile accessible to everyone.” – Sandy Mamoli, Author of Creating Great Teams, Nomad8
“You will be in the driver’s seat throughout, choosing what fits your situation and unique goals.” – Suzanne Daigle, Business Strategist and Partner, NuFocus Strategic Group
“I wish such a resource had been available at the start of our transformation!” – Heather Francis, Head of Transformation, Roche Canada
Table of Contents
- What People Are Saying About Agile for Non-Software Teams
Chapter 1: How Your Way of Working Matters
- You Can Reach Your Goals in Multiple Ways
- The Potential of an Agile Way of Working
- Articulate Your Motivation Around Agile
Chapter 2: Consider How Agile Differs from Your Current Way of Working
- Agility Has Many Forms Now
- Chapter 3: Listen to Your Team’s Concerns
Chapter 4: Determine Where You’ll Try Agile for the First Time
- Inventory All the Work You Do
- Narrow Down the List
- Frame the Work
- Examine the Results
Chapter 5: Understand that It Will Be a Journey, and It Can Go Wrong
- Voluntary Participation
- The Experience of Change
- Don’t Start with Practices, Frameworks, or Tools
- The Risk of Misalignment
Chapter 6: Prepare for the Journey
- Choose a Good Time to Start
- Get Your Manager and Stakeholders on Board
- Prepare the Team
- Prepare Yourself
Chapter 7: Learn Enough About Agile Principles to Get Started
- Organize People Around Value Creation
- Collaborate on a Product, Service, or Solution
- Produce Outcomes of Value
- Always Work on What’s Most Important
- Get Feedback Frequently
- Keep the Cost of Change Low
- Constrain the Intake of Work
- Visualize the Work
- Break Work Down
- Bounded Team Autonomy
Chapter 8: Design Your Initial Way of Working
- Choose Operating Principles
- Design the Workflow
- Structure the Team
Chapter 9: Support the Team During the First Few Months
- Start with a Kick-off
- Finish Small Valuable Work Together
- Make Working Agreements
- Stabilize the System
- Watch for Attitudes and Behaviors that Hamper Agility
- Reflect and Improve Frequently
- Lead Intentionally
- Assess How It’s Going
Chapter 10: Increase and Expand Agility
- Continuous Improvement
- Expanding the Scope of Agility
- Metrics and Measurements
- Warning, Dangers Ahead
- Epilogue: A Glimpse into the Future
Stories from the Field
- Marketing Team at a Technology Company
- Office Design and Build-out
- Biotech R&D
- Field Service Operations Center at a Commercial and Residential Energy Utility
- Meet Gil Broza
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them