The Agile CIO
The Agile CIO
Redefining IT Leadership in the Modern Enterprise, 2017 Edition
About the Book
The Agile CIO is currently the only book of its kind on the market. It's an in-depth guide for modern CIOs who are responsible for the ever-expanding reach of technology within their organizations, while simultaneously responding to increasing market pressures and regulatory requirements.
The author draws on over 25 years of experience in CIO advisory, IT governance, information security, software development, and IT operations to showcase both challenges and solutions faced by today's CIOs. Drawing on best practices he's developed for numerous startups and Fortune 500 companies, Todd Jacobs explains how modern principles and values from the agile movement can be applied to the pivotal role of Chief Information Officer.
Why Buy Now?
This book is made available as a work-in-progress. This has a number of benefits for both the author and the early-access readers. Some of these benefits include:
- Better pricing for early adopters, with free access to updated content as it's written.
- Immediate access to material that can assist you in your career today, not "eventually" when the final product is published.
- An opportunity to influence the content of the book as it's being written through your feedback to the author.
There's a table of contents button above that shows you the full scope of the book, including what's available today and what's still to come. Please keep that scope in mind when becoming an early adopter. While you are never obliged to pay more than the minimum price, the Leanpub pricing system allows you to finance the content you want by selecting a more generous purchase price. Think of it as crowdfunding the content you want to read!
Table of Contents
- Who Should Read This Book?
- 1. The Modern Enterprise
2. The Role of the Modern CIO
- Workforce Culture
- Personal Technology
- Delivery Paradigms
- Information Security
- Redefining the CIO Role for Today’s Workplace
3. Styles of Management
- Command and Control
- The Servant-Leader Management Model
- The Crossover Leader
- Unstructured Agility
- 4. The Rise of Agile IT
5. Introducing Agility to the C-Suite
- Laying the Foundation
- Uncover a Mandate
- Metrics Create Buy-In
- Build in Transparency
6. Measuring for Success
- Quantitative Management
- Key Performance Indicators
- Test-Driven Management (Forthcoming)
7. Fail Early, Fail Fast, and Reap the Benefits
- Key Terms
- Define a Minimum Viable Product
- Leverage failure as a learning or feedback tool.
- Failing early when you can’t succeed is a success!
- More on “Failure”
8. Design for Delivery
- DevOps Culture
Design for Automation
- What is Automation?
- Implementing Automation
- Continuous Integration
- Continuous Delivery
- Continuous Deployment
- Automation-Ready Development
9. Design for Operationalization
- Shift Left
- Taming Self-Service with Curated Service Catalogs
X as a Service
- Infrastructure as Code
- (Bare) Metal as a Service
- Infrastructure as a Service
- Platform as a Service
- Software as a Service
- Database as a Service
10. Design for Governance
- What is Governance?
- Importance of IT Governance
- Change Control
- Pre-Authorized Changes
Manage the Exceptions
- Defining the Exceptions
- Categorizing the Exceptions
- Handling the Exceptions
- Automated Rollouts
- Automated Rollbacks
- 11. Organizational Optimizations (Forthcoming)
- 12. Inspect and Adapt (Forthcoming)
- 13. Conclusion (Forthcoming)
- About the Author
The Agile Manifesto
- Four Values of the Manifesto
- Twelve Principles of the Manifesto
- Rules of Thumb
- Quotable Quotes
- Capability Maturity Model Integration (Forthcoming)
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them