Last updated on 2014-08-28
About the Book
Written based on experiences from founding a successful startup accelerator in an emerging tech hub, from talking to lots of other entrepreneurs and community leaders arond the world and from teaching entrepreneurship as an adjunct professor.
Startups and community organizers outside of the mainstream are being misled. Startup Sacrilege includes lessons learned and solutions, especially for startups and community organizers outside of established tech hubs. It's an alternative view that challenges startup world assumptions and makes suggestions for what to do instead.
PDF now available for free download here.
Only Fools Rush In
- Ten Other Reasons to Read This Book
- You Won’t Learn About
- Have You Had One or More of These Experiences?
- Keeping Score
I. Is There Enough Diversity in Tech?
- Can Startups Learn Something from the Cambrian Explosion?
- Groupthink and Antidotes At Home and Abroad
- What Increases the Diversity of Things Startup People Build?
- Why Aren’t There More Startups in My Location?
- Redefining Community
- Cars and Crocodiles
- Mass Extinctions
- II. Your Invisible Tribe
III. The Irrational Goal
- Alternatives to a Single Rationality
- Selling Shovels in the New Gold Rush
IV. Local Heroes
- Build for Local Problems
- Build Your Support System
- Excuses, Excuses
V. Investor Change
- Who Needs Whom?
- Investor Pressure
- Beware of Some Investors in Small Markets
- Collaborate with Non-Traditional Investors
- What You Can and Cannot Control
VI. Accelerator Glut, Or Central Planning?
- Breaking My Own Rule
- The Way Accelerators Are Viewed Is Bizarre
- Different Sides of the Story
- How Else Could We Measure Accelerators?
- Stop Trying to Build Another Y Combinator
- Lack of Focus
- When You Think There’s Only One Way, You Miss Opportunities
- An External Innovation Model
- Ditch Demo Day
VII. Pitch Event Controversies
- Life Starts After the Pitch
- Eradicate the Startup Pitch Event
- Hard to Checklist a Startup
- How to Hack the Startup Pitch Event If You Want to Win One
- How to Prevent Your Pitch Day from Being Hacked By the Startups That Read the Above Section
- VIII. Idea Thieves
- Founder Immigration
- Test Prep
- After Accelerators
- Alternate Funds
- Peer Pressure
- Go Local
- In Summary
- A Request
- A Brief Glossary
- A Brief Anti-Glossary
- About the Author
Team Pack (The book + 10 copies license)
Get the book plus a license for 10 readers. Great for sharing within your company, community or school.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...