Use Python to Become AWESOME at Your Job (Book + Video)
Last updated on 2016-08-30
About the Book
Use Python to code away the boring parts of your job.
Topics we will cover:
- Read/Write Ms Word/Pdf files
- Automatic report generation
- Automate system admin tasks. Write scripts that run at fixed times
- Monitor a file for changes, and run a script when it changes
- Website automation, including logging into websites, and getting data hidden behind login pages, clicking on buttons etc. Achieved!
- Combining data from dozens of files (Excel, text, Csv), removing bad data , and optionally, graphing it.
- Working with large folder structures, hundreds of files, including removing duplicate files.
- Multiprocessing: Use all cores on the same machine.
- Distributed processing: Use external servers to offload tasks
- Using C/C++ to speed up your code. A section on Numba, a just in time compiler that aims to speed up your code without having to use C/C++
A virtual machine (Vagrant based) will be provided, so you can start coding immediately.
Book + Video
- Setting Up Your System
Chapter 1: Reading Variables
- Reading from the command line
- Reading From a Config File
- Reading Environment Variables
Chapter 2: Replacing Command Line Scripts with Python
- Replacing our Ugly Bash Script
- Bash Quote Hell
- Monitor high CPU programs and kill any using greater than 90%
- Interactive Command line Programs
Chapter 3 Advanced Command Line Examples
- Clean up dozens of files and directories
- Cleaning many dirty Python files
- Check if a file has been modified, and if it has, run a script
- SSH into a remote machine, and run commands there
- Initial setup
Chapter 4 Working with Excel, Doc, Pdf and Html Files
- Combine data from multiple files, clean it, and graph it
- Read a Docx file
- Read and Write Pdf files
- Automatic Report Creation: Docx and Html
Chapter 5 Web Scraping and Web Automation
- Starting with simple scraping
- Getting the price from a web page
- Automating Web Browsers with Selenium
- Login to Reddit using Selenium
Chapter 6 Multiprocessing and Distributed Processing
- Multiprocessing in Python
- Distributed Processing
Chapter 7 Speed up your Code with C: Cython and Numba
- Be Awesome
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.