Exploring Scrum: Patterns that Make Scrum Work
This book is 50% complete
Last updated on 2013-12-30
About the Book
This version of the book is the 50% solution: and provides 80% of the Value. I hope that you find it useful as it is, and I also hope you will provide some good feedback so that I can improve it... Dan ;-)
Scrum is the most common, and popular, Agile Development framework in the world. Like all frameworks, Scrum encapsulates a number of Patterns -- each representing a proven solution to a common problem. Most of these Patterns come from outside Scrum, and are the real lessons of Scrum; they can be used and combined in other forms for various reasons. For example, two of these lessens are that difficult work should be done by Well-Formed Teams and that proper Governance requires a strict Accountability Model.
This book accomplishes two main goals:
- It shows, by using Patterns, how Scrum has changed throughout the years -- how it has changed from Original Scrum to Modern Scrum. In the process, it explains many of the misunderstandings about Scrum, particularly with respect to the Product Owner role.
- It shows how to Scale Scrum through the use of Patterns and uses the Patterns as the basis for evaluating several Scrum Scaling Frameworks -- including Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) and the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
By focusing on Patterns and not the details of Scrum, this book will give you a deep understanding of why Scrum works and how it can be Scaled for your Organization.
- Pattern: Well-Formed Team
- Pattern: Team Coach
- Pattern: Business Owner
- Pattern: Agile Product Development
- Original Scrum Discussion
- Pattern: Team Leader
- Pattern: Subject Matter Experts
- Pattern: Definition of Done
- Pattern: Forecast, don’t Commit (and others)
- Modern Scrum Discussion
- What We Learn from Scrum - the Principles
- Pattern: Generic Development Teams
- Pattern: Distribution Team
- Pattern: Consolidation Team
- Pattern: Program Team
Patterns for ‘Big’ Organizations
- Pattern: Management Team
- Pattern: Cross-Cutting Workgroup
- Pattern: Community of Practice
- Pattern: Integration and Evaluation (I&E) Team
- Analysis of the LeSS Framework
- Analysis of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Book Versions
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.