Using Leadership and Enterprise in Service to Regenerative Living
About the Book
Much of the content in the chapters that follow has been gathered from a wide range of informal sources in the movements that might be called (to use an Arturo Escobar term) *transition dialogues* - these include, amongst others, the intersecting worlds of permaculture design, ecovillage development, transition initiatives and bioregional congresses although this collection is not pretending to be a complete representation of all these dialogues.
Further, the participatory fields of open conferencing and world cafés, the clearing fields of compassionate communication and re-evaluation counseling also play a part. Add to these ways of thinking the modified ideas of spiral dynamics, of integral theory, of the value of experiential learning, of story-telling of the auto-ethnographic variety, pluralism and complexity theory to round out the boundless package and we have almost defined the scope of the big picture thinking in these transition dialogues. These dialogues are seeking to articulate a functional and inspirational worldview suited to the new conditions of certain climate disruption and the inevitable ensuing social chaos.
It is a wide ranging curriculum that assumes, as a kind of prerequisite, a practitioner level knowledge of permaculture design. Practicing permaculture is our favored method for reconnecting ourselves with nature especially as it holds to so-called deep green ethics - Care of the Earth, Care of People and Limits to Consumption and Population. These essential ethics go past an anthropocentric viewpoint in favor of a web-of-life perspective: humans are part of this web of life, not separate from it, and so, if immediate human interests clash with ecosystem interests, we strive to give the latter priority. *If you don’t have a grounded knowledge of permaculture design find a permaculture design course and get it now and start practicing it.*
However, the topics are chosen to extend beyond the more common Care of the Earth focus of the now-classic permaculture design course (PDC). Our principle contributors (see Acknowledgments for details) have all taken their permaculture design training out into the world and designed, consulted, practiced, transitioned and taught the field extensively. From this experience they have noted the ‘what’s needed to expand the range of actions’ beyond the land use focus of the classic PDC and, that’s what you’ll find outlined in this eBook. There is more to it, of course, and yet this collection goes far and wide.
We have been using this curriculum for our Gaia U Certificate in Ecosocial Design (Cert.ESD) for about 8 years now. It shifts and flexes every time, sometimes through gentle tweaking and sometimes by more radical excisions and inclusions. Our two cohorts per year of student associates see to it that we continue to be relevant and also conscious of unintended Patrix intrusions. The Patrix is a Gaia U term coined as a shorthand for the patriarchal matrix of oppressions dominant in many of our cultures). And, as much of the content is to do with *how to do world change*, we continue to do world change work ourselves to stay sharp.
Chapter 1: Creating Regenerative Livelihoods
- Inner Qualities
- Andrew Learns Trading Skills: A Story
- Trading Skills: The Details
Chapter 2 Creating Regenerative Livelihoods 2
- Community and Relationships
- World Context
Chapter 3: Managing Time, Managing Promises
- Why this topic and why now?
- Two Routes to Success around Managing Time, Managing Promises
- Dealing with Restimulation: A primer
- Scholar skills one-ArCEA-Active Reading
- Scholar skills two-Resilient documentation
- Scholar skills three-Scheduling study time
- Activities-Managing Time & Promises
Chapter 4: Learning and Unlearning
- Whose thinking is that, and is it any good?
- The big picture: an epistemic community capable of critique
- Learning/Unlearning models: why this meta-topic?
- Engaged un/learning models: a collection to extend from
- Scholar Skills 4: Remembering and Reviewing
- Activities: Learning and Unlearning
Chapter 5: Thinking about Worldviews
- Design and Worldviews
- Project Worldview
- The Patrix
- Spiral Dynamics
- Activities - Thinking about Worldviews
Chapter 6 Growing Resilient Communities
- Introduction to Community Focus
- The Importance of Leadership
- Leadership: Memes and vMemes
- The Leaderful Model Expanded
- Process Tools of Value
- Activities: Growing Resilient Communities
Chapter 7: Project and Design Thinking
- Cynefin and the simple complex paradox
- Project Design and Management: leaving ADDIE for SAM
- Becoming a Designer: Why and How…
- Some Permaculture and Ecosocial Design Processes
- GADIE explained plus a roundup of permaculture design principles and more
Chapter 8: Tracking Your Un/Learning Journey
- Essential Documentation
- Resilient Documentation
- Models for Tracking Un/Learning Journeys
- Activities: Tracking Your Un/Learning Journey
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.