Applied Artificial Intelligence
Last updated on 2016-06-11
About the Book
Why yet another book on Artificial Intelligence?
It is true that hundreds of publications on Artificial Intelligence (AI) have been published within the last decades - scientific papers and text books. Most of them focus on the theory behind AI solutions: logic, reasoning, statistical foundations, etc. However, little can be found on engineering AI applications.
Modern, complex IT applications are not built from scratch but by integrating off-the-shelf components: libraries, frameworks, and services. The same applies, of course, for AI applications. Over the last decades, numerous off-the-shelf components for AI base functionality such as logic, reasoning, and statistics have been implemented - commercial and open source. Integrating such components into user friendly, high-performance, and maintainable AI applications requires specific engineering skills. "Applied Artificial Intelligence - An Engingeering Approach" focuses on those skills.
- Copyright Notice
- 1.1 Overview of this Book
- 1.2 What is AI?
- 1.3 A Brief History of AI
- 1.4 Prominent AI Projects
- 1.5 Further Reading
- 1.6 Quick Check
2. Knowledge Representation
- 2.1 Ontology
- 2.2 Knowledge Representation Approaches
- 2.3 Semantic Web Standards
- 2.4 Services Maps and Product Maps
- 2.5 Tips and Tricks
- 2.6 Quick Check
3. AI Application Architecture
- 3.1 AI Reference Architecture
- 3.2 Application Example: Virtual Museum Guide
- 3.3 Data Integration / Semantic Enrichment
- 3.4 Application Logic / Agents
- 3.5 User Interface
- 3.6 Programming Languages
- 3.7 Quick Check
4. Information Retrieval
- 4.1 Information Retrieval Services Map
- 4.2 Information Retrieval Product Map
- 4.3 Tips and Tricks
- 4.4 Application Example: Semantic AutoSuggest Feature
- 4.5 Quick Check
5. Natural Language Processing
- 5.1 The Big Picture
- 5.2 From Letters to Sentences
- 5.3 NLP Services Map
- 5.4 NLP Product Map
- 5.5 Quick Check
6. Machine Learning
- 6.1 Machine Learning Areas and Tasks
- 6.2 Machine Learning Approaches
- 6.3 Machine Learning Services and Products
- 6.4 Engineering a Machine Learning Application
- 6.5 Quick Check
7. Computer Vision
- 7.1 Computer Vision Applications
- 7.2 Computer Vision Tasks and Approaches
- 7.3 Services and Product Maps
- 7.4 Example: Named Entity Recognition with the Autokeyword.me Web Service
- 7.5 Quick Check
- 8. Conclusions
- Product Tables
- Arts Ontology
- About the Author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.