Web Development with ROM and Roda
Last updated on 2016-05-29
About the Book
The book covers many ideas that potentially may be completely new to many Rubyists, including:
- Blending FP with OO - see how immutability can help you, how stateless functional objects can be used, what tools you can leverage to support this style
- Organizing your code using an IoC container and composing objects using DI
- Encapsulating data-access in a simple persistence layer using ROM
- Exposing domain-specific structures via ROM repositories
- Handling data manipulation using a separate layer using ROM commands
- Clean view layer with logic-less templates
- Dealing with complex business transactions through simple, functional object composition
ROM is a persistence and mapping toolkit and it gives a more functional approach to dealing with the databases. It's not an object relational mapper since it focuses on the data and mapping to domain specific data-structures rather than trying to solve the impedence mismatch and map to domain mutable objects. The book shows how to use ROM effectively, explains how it reduces complexity and makes development much simpler.
Roda is a routing tree web framework toolkit. It is built in a similar way to ROM - a small core, extendible through plugins. This book shows how easy it is to assemble a custom, full-stack framework built from smaller components that Roda provides. This flexibility gives us an opportunity to organize the code in all kinds of ways and the book shows one of such ways.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.