Take Control of Your Paperless Office, Third Edition
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-03-23
About the Book
Join Joe Kissell as he helps you clear the chaos of an office overflowing with paper. With Joe’s guidance you can develop a personal clean-up strategy and choose your Mac-compatible tools—a document scanner and the software you need to perform OCR (optical character recognition), devices and services for storing your digitized documents, and tools to categorize, locate, and view your digital document collections. Once you have your gear in hand, Joe shows you convert your paper documents to digitized files and gives you ideas for how to organize your office workflow, explaining how to develop the day-to-day techniques that reduce the amount of time you spend pressing buttons, launching software, and managing your digitized documents.
In addition to all of the above, Joe clues you in to these paper-reducing skills:
Scanning or photographing documents you find while out and about—business cards, receipts, menus, flyers, and labels—so you keep only digitized versions. Joe discusses a variety of mobile scanning options, with an emphasis on using a camera-equipped iOS device, and lists similar options for employing Android, Windows, and BlackBerry smartphones.
Creating a digitized image of your signature so you can sign and share documents digitally, rather than printing them for the sole purpose of signing them with a pen.
Setting up your computer to send and receive faxes so you can avoid using a physical fax machine with paper input and output. Joe describes online fax services and using a fax modem.
Common techniques for reducing paper—paperless billing, online bank statements, and more—and less common practices, such as paperless postal mail services and check depositing services. Joe also shares effective tips for reducing the amount of catalogs, junk mail, and paper that you receive.
The book answers numerous questions, including:
- What is a "searchable PDF," and why is it key to a paperless office?
- Where should I store my digital documents?
- How should I back up my important digital documents?
- What differentiates "document scanners" from other types of scanners?
- What does TWAIN stand for, and should my scanner support it?
- Why do I need OCR software, and what features should I look for?
- What scanners and OCR products does Joe recommend?
- How can I automate my workflow for scanning documents?
- What paper documents should I keep in physical form?
- How do I use common tools to add a signature to a PDF?
- What naming and categorization schemes should I use?
- What should I keep in mind if I want to share my digital documents?
- How can I access my digital documents remotely?
- How can an iPad, iPhone, or other device help me reduce paper use?
- Is it better to use a fax modem or a fax-to-email gateway?
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- What’s New in the Third Edition
- Paperless Office Quick Start
Reassess Your Paperless Office Strategy
- What’s New in the Paperless Office
- Factors to Reevaluate
Meet Your New Paperless Office
- Learn the Benefits of Ditching Paper
- Understand Searchable PDFs
- Consider Storage Options
- Envision a Paperless Future
Head Off Most Paper Before It Reaches You
- Sign Up for Paperless Billing
- Choose Online Bank Statements
- Receive Invoices Electronically
- Explore Other Paperless Options
- Get Paperless Postal Mail
Choose a Document Scanner
- Learn Why Document Scanners Are Different
- Consider Important Scanner Features
- Pick a Mac-compatible Scanner
Choose OCR Software
- Determine Your Needs
- Consider Important OCR Features
- Pick a Mac OCR Package
- Joe’s OCR Software Recommendations
Configure Your Software
- Understand the Scanning Process
- Choose Your Main Scanning Options
- Set the Destination
- Set the File Format
- Set Other Scanning Options
- Set OCR Options
- Choose a Naming and Filing Strategy
- Automate OCR
Create a Workflow for Incoming Paper
- Create a Physical Paper Path
- Scan All Incoming Paper Immediately
- Back Up Scanned Data
- Keep Legally Important Documents
- Recycle or Shred Leftovers
Work Through a Backlog
- Prune Unnecessary Documents
- Prioritize What’s Left
- Try Scanning 50 Sheets per Day
- Hire a Minion
- Outsource Scanning
OCR on the Go
- Learn about Pocket-sized OCR Tools
- Pick an iOS Scanning App
- Use Android Devices
- Use Your Digital Camera
Avoid Common Printing Needs
- Think (and Track) When You Print
- Review and Annotate Documents
- Take Notes without Paper
- Send Invoices Electronically
- Fax (Paperlessly) When Email Isn’t an Option
- Always Print to PDF When Possible
- Never Print “Just in Case”
- Carry a Mobile Device Instead of Paper
Sign Documents without Paper
- Determine When a Pseudo-signature Is Acceptable
- Scan Your Signature
- Superimpose Your Signature on a PDF
- Learn about Digital Signatures
Fax without Paper
- Receive Incoming Faxes
- Send Outgoing Faxes
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...