Take Control of the Cloud
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2014-04-22
About the Book
What, exactly, is a “cloud” service and how can you make smart decisions about which ones to use and how to set them up? Join award-winning author Joe Kissell as he pins down nebulous cloud concepts, helps you evaluate claims about cloud services, and points out how to enhance your privacy and security in the Cloud.
You can read this approachable ebook quickly in your recliner, deck chair, or airplane seat, but you’ll want to pull it out again next time youre considering signing up for yet another cloud-based service, whether that service is for data storage, syncing, or sharing, or it’s an application, or something else. Along with lists of popular, recommended, or interesting cloud-based services, Joe provides advice on desirable (and undesirable) features. And, if you’d like still more control over your data, there’s a special chapter about setting up your own personal cloud.
Teach This Book! Do you need to give a presentation concerning the Cloud? We’d like to help. This ebook includes links to a downloadable one-page PDF handout and to a PDF-based slide deck that you can show on any computer or mobile device.
Here’s what you’ll find inside Take Control of the Cloud:
- 18 essential FAQs about the Cloud
- What’s special about modern-day, cloud-based data syncing
- Why it’s so hard to mingle calendars from different services
- How using the Cloud can reduce your hardware costs
- Popular cloud apps and what they can do for you
- How to run Windows or Linux in the Cloud
- Why Adobe Creative Cloud is a lame example of cloud computing
- What a VPS (virtual private server) is, and why you might want one
- Who are the big players who want to grab your cloud data
- How to avoid the weak points when it comes to cloud security
- Why you should back up to and from the Cloud
- How to know if a particular cloud service is right for you
- Barriers and benefits to running your own personal cloud
- How to choose hardware and software for a personal cloud
- Free download of a cheat sheet and training materials about the Cloud
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...