Take Control of Speeding Up Your Mac, Second Edition
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-12-20
About the Book
If your Mac seems a lot slower now than when you first bought it, it’s not your imagination. Over time, your Mac can become bogged down with extra background tasks, run out of free RAM and disk space, and encounter a wide variety of other issues that lead to slow performance. With expert advice and a little detective work, you can find and fix these problems—returning your Mac to its original, peppy self.
Don’t depend on random tips that may or may not help. In this book you’ll learn how to find and address the exact causes of slow behavior, with before-and-after tests to confirm your results. You’ll discover how to optimize CPU and RAM usage, eliminate disk bottlenecks, improve network performance (including web browsing and email), speed up peripherals, perform strategic software and hardware upgrades, and much more.
This book covers 10.9 Mavericks or later, including 10.13 High Sierra.
In this practical, hands-on book, Joe Kissell shares the results of his extensive research:
- Learn the Basics:* Separate fact from fiction when it comes to commonly recommended performance tips.
- Diagnose Speed Issues: Use benchmarking and other diagnostic tools to pinpoint speed problems and test your fixes.
- Try Quick Fixes: Discover the most effective techniques for overcoming random, temporary speed problems.
- Lighten Your CPU’s Load: Track down apps that are bogging down your processor and teach them to behave.
- Increase Available RAM: Turn off or manage processes that are using too much memory so there’s more to work with.
- Improve Disk Performance: Fix disk errors, avoid running out of space, and eliminate inefficient disk access.
- Boost Network Speeds: Speed up Wi-Fi and Ethernet network access, DNS lookups, web browsing, and email.
- Monitor System Resources: Use Activity Monitor and other tools to keep tabs on your Mac’s CPU, RAM, disk, and network usage.
- Upgrade Your Hardware: Learn when and how to install additional RAM, a new hard drive, an SSD, or other hardware upgrades.
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms