About the Book
The Slack group messaging system can be overwhelming, but with Glenn Fleishman's real-world advice, new users can come up to speed quickly, and more experienced users will find numerous techniques for participating more efficiently.
Slack is all about communication, so you'll learn how to write, edit, and react to messages; use snippets, posts, and audio calls to collaborate with team members; and create and manage both channels and direct message conversations.
You'll also see how to configure Slack's flexible notification system so you're alerted appropriately but not nagged. Plus, Glenn covers how to search old messages effectively, how to make Slack your control center by centralizing reports from other services via integrations, and numerous techniques for improving your productivity in (and with) Slack.
Join us in SlackBITS! Dip your toe into Slack via our public Slack group, where everyone is invited to ask questions and share tips about Slack, plus chat about Apple-related topics.
Some Slack capabilities are restricted to admins, and this book's companion title Take Control of Slack Admin explains how to set up and manage a team. Slack offers a free plan, so if you find Slack helpful at work, consider setting it up for your birding club or sports team too!
Questions answered for you in this book include:
- How do people find and enter those little emoji icons in messages?
- Is there any way to edit the message I just posted so I can fix a mistake?
- Are there more channels in my Slack team? How do I find them?
- What does it mean when names in the sidebar are bold or italic?
- What do the numbers next to channel or conversation names indicate?
- How can I reduce the number of notifications I get on my iPhone?
- Can I have Slack send me email for important notifications?
- How private are direct messages? What about private channels?
- What, exactly is Slackbot, and why is it talking to me?
- How do I find old conversations from last month?
- What techniques can I employ to be more productive in Slack?
About the Author
Glenn Fleishman is a veteran technology writer who has contributed to dozens of publications across his career, including Macworld, the New York Times, Wired, the Atlantic, and the Economist. He has also written dozens of editions of books in the Take Control series. Glenn lives in Seattle with his wife and two children.