About the Book
With the information-management program DEVONthink 2, you no longer have to swim in a sea of Web bookmarks, email receipts, RSS feeds, scanned memos, and downloaded bank statements. DEVONthink stores your digital documents and clippings, helps you scan and store paper documents, and serves as home base for organizing and viewing all your information. But mastering all that power can take effort, and this book — created in partnership with DEVONtechnologies — has the real-world advice you need to understand how DEVONthink can bring order to your information.
You’ll also learn how to extend your DEVONthink experience beyond your main Mac with Joe’s detailed explanation of the many ways you can sync DEVONthink databases to your other Apple devices and his lucid look at the DEVONthink To Go iOS app.
This book got me around some suboptimal usage patterns that were holding up my profitable use of this excellent software. I’d recommend this book to any level of DEVONthink user. —Scott McGrath
After covering essential DEVONthink vocabulary and concepts, Joe helps you start using DEVONthink effectively. You’ll learn how to:
- Get around in the interface
- Decide how many databases you need and set them up
- Determine whether to input or index data
- Configure where incoming data will go
- Import data from many different apps
- Import data from a scanner, including OCR options
- Use grouping and tagging to organize data
- Use simple (and sophisticated) techniques for searching
- Create smart groups that automatically gather newly imported data
- Create documents in plain text, HTML, Markdown, and more
- Edit documents in DEVONthink (or externally)
- Find the best way to sync DEVONthink data with other devices
- Get tips for working effectively in the DEVONthink To Go iOS app
- Share DEVONthink documents with other people
- Export documents from DEVONthink
- Back up and maintain healthy databases
Questions answered in the book include:
- What is DEVONthink good for, and what should be left to other programs?
- What kinds of data can I import? (Short answer: Nearly everything!)
- Which of DEVONthink’s many views should I use?
- When I import documents from different sources, where do they end up, and why?
- Is it better to sort imported documents right away, or leave them for later?
- Should I group my data, tag it, or both?
- What are duplicates and replicants, and how can I tell them apart?
- Which types of data can be created or edited within DEVONthink?
- How do I make my DEVONthink database accessible via the Web?
- How do I move documents out of DEVONthink using the Share feature?
- How do I use DEVONthink To Go on my iOS device?
- Are there Automator or AppleScript options for DEVONthink? (Hint: Yes!)
About the Author
Joe Kissell has written numerous books about technology, including many popular Take Control ebooks, with an emphasis on Apple products. He's also Senior Editor of TidBITS and a Senior Contributor to Macworld, and previously spent ten years in the Mac software industry.