Take Control of 1Password, Third Edition
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-01-29
About the Book
Wrangling your web passwords can be easy and secure, thanks to 1Password, the popular password manager from AgileBits. In this book, Joe Kissell brings years of real-world 1Password experience into play to explain not only how to create, edit, and enter web login data easily, but also how to autofill contact and credit card info when shopping online, audit your passwords and generate better ones, **handle two-factor authentication (2FA), and sync and share passwords in various ways—including a hosted 1Password account (individual, family, or team), iCloud or Dropbox.
While reading Take Control of 1Password on my iPad I was furiously highlighting passages and following along with 1Password open on my Mac. [The book] showed me how some of my passwords were weak or duplicates. I immediately changed those passwords to unique and secure ones. —Elisa Pacelli, in her MyMac book review of the book's previous edition.
The book focuses on 1Password 6 for the Mac, but it also provides details and directions for the iOS, Windows, and Android versions of 1Password. It briefly covers 1Password X, a chrome extension that brings 1Password to Chrome OS and Linux.
Meet 1Password: Set your master password, explore the various 1Password components, and decide on your ideal usage strategy.
Master logins: In 1Password, a typical login contains a set of credentials used to sign in to a website. Find out how to create logins, sort them, search them, tag them, and more. You’ll also find help with editing logins—for example, changing a password or adding further details.
Understand password security: Get guidance on what makes for a good password, and read Joe’s important Password Dos and Don’ts. A special topic covers how to perform a security audit in order to improve poor passwords quickly.
Go beyond web logins: A primary point of 1Password is to speed up web logins, but 1Password can also store and autofill contact information (for more than one identity, even), along with credit card information. You’ll also find advice on storing passwords for password-protected files and encrypted disk images, plus ideas for keeping track of confidential files, software licenses, scans of important cards or documents, and more.
Sync your passwords: Discover which 1Password syncing solution is right for you: a hosted 1Password account, Dropbox, iCloud, a manually synced folder, or even device-to-device Wi-Fi sync.
Share your passwords: Learn to store passwords in shared vaults within a family or team hosted account.
You’ll also discover the answers to key questions, including:
- What are my options for licensing 1Password?
- What are the differences between vaults in 1Password accounts and standalone vaults?
- Should I keep using my web browser’s autofill feature?
- What about iCloud Keychain? Should I use that too?
- What can I do quickly to get better password security?
- How can I find and update weak passwords I created long ago?
- What should I do about security questions, like the name of my pet?
- How can 1Password provide a time-based one-time password (TOTP)?
- How do I use 1Password logins from utilities like LaunchBar?
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- What’s New in the Third Edition
- 1Password Quick Start
- License 1Password
- Learn About 1Password Accounts
- Configure 1Password
- Explore the 1Password Components
- Learn How Logins Work
- Find Your Usage Pattern
- Set Up Syncing
- Check for Updates
- Learn What 1Password Isn’t Good For
Understand Password Security
- Learn Password Security Basics
- Understand Optimal Password Length
- Password Dos and Don’ts
Use 1Password for Web Browsing
- Create and Save Logins
- Log In
- Deal with Multistep Logins
- Fill Web Forms Using Identities
- Shop Online Securely
Store Other Information in 1Password
- Standalone Passwords
- One-Time Passwords
- Software Licenses
- Secure Notes
- Other Data Types
Search and Organize Your 1Password Items
- Make Your Life Simpler
- Understand the Sidebar Sections
- Use Favorites
- Use Folders and Tags
- Switch Layouts
- Adjust the Sort Order
- Perform a Basic Search
- Perform an Advanced Search
- Use Smart Folders
- Work with Previously Generated Passwords
- Use the Trash
- Work with Multiple Vaults
Edit 1Password Items
- Edit Saved Items
- Work with Icons and Thumbnails
- Update Old Passwords
- Perform a Password Security Audit
- Share 1Password Data
- Import and Export Data
- Print 1Password Data
- Set Security Preferences
- Configure Other Mac Preferences
- Use 1Password with Other Utilities
Manage a Family or Team Account
- Create a Family or Team Vault
- Invite Users to Your Family or Team
- Specify Permissions
- Suspend or Revoke Vault Access
Use 1Password on the Go
- Don’t Panic
- Troubleshoot Common Mac Problems
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author and Publisher
- Also by Joe Kissell
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...