The Startup Chef
Last updated on 2012-12-07
About the Book
A cookbook by people who make technology products may seem a bit counterintuitive at first. Technology, after all, is about bytes, not bites.
But the creative process that goes into cooking a great meal -- and the raw vision, passion and imagination one applies to making something new out of a sum of unsuspecting ingredients -- is not so different from the process of creating innovative technology products.
Much like the process of creating a startup, this book is a work in progress. And the 75-and-counting recipes, vignettes and photos in it (we will continue to add more to the book, in dynamic fashion, as we gather them) provide a sneak peek into the more personal side of the founders, investors and writers that power the tech industry.
What does the founder of the most popular blogging platform on the internet make for breakfast? What type of creative pastry do Randi Zuckerberg and her sister Donna whip up for their family during the holidays? It’s all in here, with their own personal stories and recipes, for you to make and enjoy (in a totally non-creepy, non-Single-White-Female sort of way).And of course it wouldn’t be a launch if there wasn’t that ‘one more thing’: all proceeds from the book will go to charities aiming to end hunger -- ranging from feeding hungry children in the US to helping feed families severely affected by Hurricane Sandy.
We’re thankful to work in an industry filled with warm-hearted leaders who can not only cook a great meal, but help feed those who need it. Thanks for taking this first step with us. We hope it’s love at first bite!
With love and thanks,
Maya and Hunter
P.S. If you’d like your recipe to be considered for inclusion in an upcoming version of “The Startup Chef,” please submit it here.
- Special Recipes By Chef Michael Mina
- Recipe Introduction
- Five Bean Falafel
- Yogurt Tahini
- Eggs à la Matt by Matt Mullenweg, WordPress
- Breakfast Pizza with Roasted Garlic by Emily Olson, Foodzie.com
- Perfect Organic Breakfast by Dina Kaplan, Blip.tv
- Rocky Mountain Toast by Adam Braun, Pencils of Promise
- Apple Stuffed Pancake by Brian Singerman, Founders Fund
- French Toast Casserole by Caroline Barlerin, HP
- Cinnamon Toast by Caroline Waxler, Internet Week
- Mormor’s Swedish Pancakes by Dave Gilboa, Warby Parker
- Dutch Babies by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Eggs and Wine by Rebecca Miller, Trinity Ventures
- Finnish Pancakes by Ross Fubini, Canaan Capital
- Snappy Summer Skirt Steak Salad by Mike & Karen Folgner, SnappyTV
- Kale Salad by Brooke Hammerling, Brew Media Relations
- Hot Chick Salad by Laurel Touby, mediabistro
- Chicken and Kale Stew by Rob Hayes, First Round Capital
- Chicken Simple by Amit Paunikar, mediastudio
- Steak Au Poivre and Frites by Daniel Gruneberg, ZOZI
- Pernil & Puerto Rican Rice by Miguel Senquiz & Sam Valenti IV, drip.fm and Ghostly International
- Dinner Party Meatloaf by Mike Maser, Fitly
- Osso “Buko” by Tim Ferriss, fourhourchef.com
- Khoresht Gheymeh by Anahita & Shervin Pishevar, StyleBee & Menlo Ventures
- Thai Curry by Andy McLoughlin, Huddle
- Cozy Cabin Chicken by Scott Harrison, charity: water
- Dad’s White Bean Chili by Chelsa Skees, chelsaskees.com
- Double Marinated Tenderloin / Fillet of Beef by Daniel Ek, Spotify
- Lemon & Basil Risotto with Shrimp by Devon Biondi, Mashery
- Red Matter and Green Earth Pizzas by Donna Morton & Joe Thwaites, First Power
- Non-Italian, Italian Meatballs by Ellie Rountree, Google
- New Mexico Red Chili “Stacked” Chicken Enchiladas by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Thai Curry Tilapia a.k.a. Spicy Lovenest Tilapia by Jamie Shupak & Brian Stelter, NY1 & New York Times
- Pomegranate-Yogurt Chicken by Jesse Friedman, Google
- Turkey Meatballs with a Twist by Joanna Stern, ABC News
- Klout Karnitas by the team, Klout
- Beef Short Ribs Braised in Dark Beer with Bacon and Red Onions by Peter Flint, Polaris Venture Partners
- Lemon Chicken by Rina Raphael, TODAY
- Chicken and White Bean Chili by Robby Stein, Yahoo!
- Porcini Mushroom Pasta Sauce by Soraya Darabi, foodspotting
- The Martocci Family Pasta Sauce by Steve Martocci, GroupMe
- Grilled Halibut Tacos by Josh Mendelsohn, Hattery
- Steamed Sea Bass with Thai Chili Lime Sauce by Elizabeth Spiers, Breaking Media
- Halibut with Meyer Lemon Salsa, Roasted New Potatoes and Crème Fraîche by Ken Weber, Zynga
- Grilled Scallops Appetizer with Avocado & Balsamic by Megan McCarthy, Reuters
- Cast Iron Trout with Creamed Spinach by Michael Dearing, Harrison Metal
- Mom Crowley’s Sausage Soup by Dennis Crowley, foursquare
- Passatelli in Brodo by Frank Barbieri, YuMe
- SLO Town Tri-Tip Sandwich by Bubba Murarka, Facebook
- The Greatest Stuffing in the World by Brenden Mulligan, Onesheet
- Cranberry Ice by Elaine Wherry, Meebo
- Rooted by Everett Harper, Tetherpad
- The Best Brussels (with Bacon and Almonds) by Ellie Rountree & Toby Daniels, Google & Crowdcentric
- Shakshouka by Idan Cohen, Boxee
- Pakoras by Nikhil Kalghatgi, softbank
- Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts Sarah Lacy, PandoDaily
- Tex-Mex Guacamole by Wesley Barrow, Nomi
- Italian American Cocktail by Jeremy Fisher, Wander
- The Ultimate Bloody Mary by David Pakman, Venrock
- The Greylock Cocktail by the team, Greylock Partners
- Chocolate iPhone by Brit Morin, brit.co
- Double Chocolate Chip Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies by Jessi Hempel, Fortune
- That’s My (Raspberry) Jam by Maya Baratz, ABC News
- Honey Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Ryan & Molly Graves, Uber Technologies & NEAT Method
- Antarctic Scotch Ice Cream by Caroline McCarthy, Google
- Maple-Glazed, Apple Bacon Doughnuts by Cory Ondrejka, Facebook
- Hamburger Cookies by David Hornik, August Capital
- Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones by Donna & Randi Zuckerberg, Zuckerberg Media
- Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies by Erin Carlson, Crushable
- Flourless (But Not Carb-less) Chocolate Cake by Ethan and Rebecca Kurzweil, Bessemer Venture Partners
- Thumbprint Cookies by Hunter Walk, YouTube
- Apple Crisp (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Paleo) by Ian C Rogers, Topspin
- Chocolate Chip Cookies by Joanne Wilson, gotham gal
- Speedy Blueberry Muffins by Mike Cassidy, GoogleX
- Talea’s Apple Cake by Nora Abousteit, Kollabora
- Ooooey Gooey Butterscotch Brownies by Saar & Patama Gur, Charles River Ventures & Fraiche Yogurt
- Nutrition Hacker’s Approved List of Foods by Tim Chang, Mayfield Fund
Waves for Water
Waves For Water works on the front-line to provide clean water to communities in need around the world.http://www.wavesforwater.org
The mission is simple: To get clean water to every single person who needs it.
Share Our Strength
No child should grow up hungry in America.http://www.nokidhungry.org/
No child should grow up hungry in America, but one in five children struggles with hunger. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.