The Startup Chef
The Startup Chef
About the Book
A cookbook by people who make technology products may seem a bit counterintuitive at first. Technology, after all, is about bytes, not bites.
But the creative process that goes into cooking a great meal -- and the raw vision, passion and imagination one applies to making something new out of a sum of unsuspecting ingredients -- is not so different from the process of creating innovative technology products.
Much like the process of creating a startup, this book is a work in progress. And the 75-and-counting recipes, vignettes and photos in it (we will continue to add more to the book, in dynamic fashion, as we gather them) provide a sneak peek into the more personal side of the founders, investors and writers that power the tech industry.
What does the founder of the most popular blogging platform on the internet make for breakfast? What type of creative pastry do Randi Zuckerberg and her sister Donna whip up for their family during the holidays? It’s all in here, with their own personal stories and recipes, for you to make and enjoy (in a totally non-creepy, non-Single-White-Female sort of way).And of course it wouldn’t be a launch if there wasn’t that ‘one more thing’: all proceeds from the book will go to charities aiming to end hunger -- ranging from feeding hungry children in the US to helping feed families severely affected by Hurricane Sandy.
We’re thankful to work in an industry filled with warm-hearted leaders who can not only cook a great meal, but help feed those who need it. Thanks for taking this first step with us. We hope it’s love at first bite!
With love and thanks,
Maya and Hunter
P.S. If you’d like your recipe to be considered for inclusion in an upcoming version of “The Startup Chef,” please submit it here.
- Special Recipes By Chef Michael Mina
- Recipe Introduction
- Five Bean Falafel
- Yogurt Tahini
- Eggs à la Matt by Matt Mullenweg, WordPress
- Breakfast Pizza with Roasted Garlic by Emily Olson, Foodzie.com
- Perfect Organic Breakfast by Dina Kaplan, Blip.tv
- Rocky Mountain Toast by Adam Braun, Pencils of Promise
- Apple Stuffed Pancake by Brian Singerman, Founders Fund
- French Toast Casserole by Caroline Barlerin, HP
- Cinnamon Toast by Caroline Waxler, Internet Week
- Mormor’s Swedish Pancakes by Dave Gilboa, Warby Parker
- Dutch Babies by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Eggs and Wine by Rebecca Miller, Trinity Ventures
- Finnish Pancakes by Ross Fubini, Canaan Capital
- Snappy Summer Skirt Steak Salad by Mike & Karen Folgner, SnappyTV
- Kale Salad by Brooke Hammerling, Brew Media Relations
- Hot Chick Salad by Laurel Touby, mediabistro
- Chicken and Kale Stew by Rob Hayes, First Round Capital
- Chicken Simple by Amit Paunikar, mediastudio
- Steak Au Poivre and Frites by Daniel Gruneberg, ZOZI
- Pernil & Puerto Rican Rice by Miguel Senquiz & Sam Valenti IV, drip.fm and Ghostly International
- Dinner Party Meatloaf by Mike Maser, Fitly
- Osso “Buko” by Tim Ferriss, fourhourchef.com
- Khoresht Gheymeh by Anahita & Shervin Pishevar, StyleBee & Menlo Ventures
- Thai Curry by Andy McLoughlin, Huddle
- Cozy Cabin Chicken by Scott Harrison, charity: water
- Dad’s White Bean Chili by Chelsa Skees, chelsaskees.com
- Double Marinated Tenderloin / Fillet of Beef by Daniel Ek, Spotify
- Lemon & Basil Risotto with Shrimp by Devon Biondi, Mashery
- Red Matter and Green Earth Pizzas by Donna Morton & Joe Thwaites, First Power
- Non-Italian, Italian Meatballs by Ellie Rountree, Google
- New Mexico Red Chili “Stacked” Chicken Enchiladas by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Thai Curry Tilapia a.k.a. Spicy Lovenest Tilapia by Jamie Shupak & Brian Stelter, NY1 & New York Times
- Pomegranate-Yogurt Chicken by Jesse Friedman, Google
- Turkey Meatballs with a Twist by Joanna Stern, ABC News
- Klout Karnitas by the team, Klout
- Beef Short Ribs Braised in Dark Beer with Bacon and Red Onions by Peter Flint, Polaris Venture Partners
- Lemon Chicken by Rina Raphael, TODAY
- Chicken and White Bean Chili by Robby Stein, Yahoo!
- Porcini Mushroom Pasta Sauce by Soraya Darabi, foodspotting
- The Martocci Family Pasta Sauce by Steve Martocci, GroupMe
- Grilled Halibut Tacos by Josh Mendelsohn, Hattery
- Steamed Sea Bass with Thai Chili Lime Sauce by Elizabeth Spiers, Breaking Media
- Halibut with Meyer Lemon Salsa, Roasted New Potatoes and Crème Fraîche by Ken Weber, Zynga
- Grilled Scallops Appetizer with Avocado & Balsamic by Megan McCarthy, Reuters
- Cast Iron Trout with Creamed Spinach by Michael Dearing, Harrison Metal
- Mom Crowley’s Sausage Soup by Dennis Crowley, foursquare
- Passatelli in Brodo by Frank Barbieri, YuMe
- SLO Town Tri-Tip Sandwich by Bubba Murarka, Facebook
- The Greatest Stuffing in the World by Brenden Mulligan, Onesheet
- Cranberry Ice by Elaine Wherry, Meebo
- Rooted by Everett Harper, Tetherpad
- The Best Brussels (with Bacon and Almonds) by Ellie Rountree & Toby Daniels, Google & Crowdcentric
- Shakshouka by Idan Cohen, Boxee
- Pakoras by Nikhil Kalghatgi, softbank
- Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts Sarah Lacy, PandoDaily
- Tex-Mex Guacamole by Wesley Barrow, Nomi
- Italian American Cocktail by Jeremy Fisher, Wander
- The Ultimate Bloody Mary by David Pakman, Venrock
- The Greylock Cocktail by the team, Greylock Partners
- Chocolate iPhone by Brit Morin, brit.co
- Double Chocolate Chip Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies by Jessi Hempel, Fortune
- That’s My (Raspberry) Jam by Maya Baratz, ABC News
- Honey Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Ryan & Molly Graves, Uber Technologies & NEAT Method
- Antarctic Scotch Ice Cream by Caroline McCarthy, Google
- Maple-Glazed, Apple Bacon Doughnuts by Cory Ondrejka, Facebook
- Hamburger Cookies by David Hornik, August Capital
- Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones by Donna & Randi Zuckerberg, Zuckerberg Media
- Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies by Erin Carlson, Crushable
- Flourless (But Not Carb-less) Chocolate Cake by Ethan and Rebecca Kurzweil, Bessemer Venture Partners
- Thumbprint Cookies by Hunter Walk, YouTube
- Apple Crisp (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Paleo) by Ian C Rogers, Topspin
- Chocolate Chip Cookies by Joanne Wilson, gotham gal
- Speedy Blueberry Muffins by Mike Cassidy, GoogleX
- Talea’s Apple Cake by Nora Abousteit, Kollabora
- Ooooey Gooey Butterscotch Brownies by Saar & Patama Gur, Charles River Ventures & Fraiche Yogurt
- Nutrition Hacker’s Approved List of Foods by Tim Chang, Mayfield Fund
Waves for Water
Waves For Water works on the front-line to provide clean water to communities in need around the world.http://www.wavesforwater.org
The mission is simple: To get clean water to every single person who needs it.
Share Our Strength
No child should grow up hungry in America.http://www.nokidhungry.org/
No child should grow up hungry in America, but one in five children struggles with hunger. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.
Learn ECMAScript 6 inside and out
2 BooksFor any technology, it helps to get multiple points of view on the functionality to get the best possible understanding. For ECMAScript 6/2015, no two resources are recommended more frequently thanExploring ES6by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer andUnderstanding ECMAScript 6by Nicholas C. Zakas. These two points of view, investigating the specification and...
Software architecture, for systems old and new
2 BooksThis bundle includes books about hands-on software architecture.