The Startup Chef
The Startup Chef
About the Book
A cookbook by people who make technology products may seem a bit counterintuitive at first. Technology, after all, is about bytes, not bites.
But the creative process that goes into cooking a great meal -- and the raw vision, passion and imagination one applies to making something new out of a sum of unsuspecting ingredients -- is not so different from the process of creating innovative technology products.
Much like the process of creating a startup, this book is a work in progress. And the 75-and-counting recipes, vignettes and photos in it (we will continue to add more to the book, in dynamic fashion, as we gather them) provide a sneak peek into the more personal side of the founders, investors and writers that power the tech industry.
What does the founder of the most popular blogging platform on the internet make for breakfast? What type of creative pastry do Randi Zuckerberg and her sister Donna whip up for their family during the holidays? It’s all in here, with their own personal stories and recipes, for you to make and enjoy (in a totally non-creepy, non-Single-White-Female sort of way).And of course it wouldn’t be a launch if there wasn’t that ‘one more thing’: all proceeds from the book will go to charities aiming to end hunger -- ranging from feeding hungry children in the US to helping feed families severely affected by Hurricane Sandy.
We’re thankful to work in an industry filled with warm-hearted leaders who can not only cook a great meal, but help feed those who need it. Thanks for taking this first step with us. We hope it’s love at first bite!
With love and thanks,
Maya and Hunter
P.S. If you’d like your recipe to be considered for inclusion in an upcoming version of “The Startup Chef,” please submit it here.
- Special Recipes By Chef Michael Mina
- Recipe Introduction
- Five Bean Falafel
- Yogurt Tahini
- Eggs à la Matt by Matt Mullenweg, WordPress
- Breakfast Pizza with Roasted Garlic by Emily Olson, Foodzie.com
- Perfect Organic Breakfast by Dina Kaplan, Blip.tv
- Rocky Mountain Toast by Adam Braun, Pencils of Promise
- Apple Stuffed Pancake by Brian Singerman, Founders Fund
- French Toast Casserole by Caroline Barlerin, HP
- Cinnamon Toast by Caroline Waxler, Internet Week
- Mormor’s Swedish Pancakes by Dave Gilboa, Warby Parker
- Dutch Babies by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Eggs and Wine by Rebecca Miller, Trinity Ventures
- Finnish Pancakes by Ross Fubini, Canaan Capital
- Snappy Summer Skirt Steak Salad by Mike & Karen Folgner, SnappyTV
- Kale Salad by Brooke Hammerling, Brew Media Relations
- Hot Chick Salad by Laurel Touby, mediabistro
- Chicken and Kale Stew by Rob Hayes, First Round Capital
- Chicken Simple by Amit Paunikar, mediastudio
- Steak Au Poivre and Frites by Daniel Gruneberg, ZOZI
- Pernil & Puerto Rican Rice by Miguel Senquiz & Sam Valenti IV, drip.fm and Ghostly International
- Dinner Party Meatloaf by Mike Maser, Fitly
- Osso “Buko” by Tim Ferriss, fourhourchef.com
- Khoresht Gheymeh by Anahita & Shervin Pishevar, StyleBee & Menlo Ventures
- Thai Curry by Andy McLoughlin, Huddle
- Cozy Cabin Chicken by Scott Harrison, charity: water
- Dad’s White Bean Chili by Chelsa Skees, chelsaskees.com
- Double Marinated Tenderloin / Fillet of Beef by Daniel Ek, Spotify
- Lemon & Basil Risotto with Shrimp by Devon Biondi, Mashery
- Red Matter and Green Earth Pizzas by Donna Morton & Joe Thwaites, First Power
- Non-Italian, Italian Meatballs by Ellie Rountree, Google
- New Mexico Red Chili “Stacked” Chicken Enchiladas by Jacob Mullins, Shasta Ventures
- Thai Curry Tilapia a.k.a. Spicy Lovenest Tilapia by Jamie Shupak & Brian Stelter, NY1 & New York Times
- Pomegranate-Yogurt Chicken by Jesse Friedman, Google
- Turkey Meatballs with a Twist by Joanna Stern, ABC News
- Klout Karnitas by the team, Klout
- Beef Short Ribs Braised in Dark Beer with Bacon and Red Onions by Peter Flint, Polaris Venture Partners
- Lemon Chicken by Rina Raphael, TODAY
- Chicken and White Bean Chili by Robby Stein, Yahoo!
- Porcini Mushroom Pasta Sauce by Soraya Darabi, foodspotting
- The Martocci Family Pasta Sauce by Steve Martocci, GroupMe
- Grilled Halibut Tacos by Josh Mendelsohn, Hattery
- Steamed Sea Bass with Thai Chili Lime Sauce by Elizabeth Spiers, Breaking Media
- Halibut with Meyer Lemon Salsa, Roasted New Potatoes and Crème Fraîche by Ken Weber, Zynga
- Grilled Scallops Appetizer with Avocado & Balsamic by Megan McCarthy, Reuters
- Cast Iron Trout with Creamed Spinach by Michael Dearing, Harrison Metal
- Mom Crowley’s Sausage Soup by Dennis Crowley, foursquare
- Passatelli in Brodo by Frank Barbieri, YuMe
- SLO Town Tri-Tip Sandwich by Bubba Murarka, Facebook
- The Greatest Stuffing in the World by Brenden Mulligan, Onesheet
- Cranberry Ice by Elaine Wherry, Meebo
- Rooted by Everett Harper, Tetherpad
- The Best Brussels (with Bacon and Almonds) by Ellie Rountree & Toby Daniels, Google & Crowdcentric
- Shakshouka by Idan Cohen, Boxee
- Pakoras by Nikhil Kalghatgi, softbank
- Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts Sarah Lacy, PandoDaily
- Tex-Mex Guacamole by Wesley Barrow, Nomi
- Italian American Cocktail by Jeremy Fisher, Wander
- The Ultimate Bloody Mary by David Pakman, Venrock
- The Greylock Cocktail by the team, Greylock Partners
- Chocolate iPhone by Brit Morin, brit.co
- Double Chocolate Chip Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies by Jessi Hempel, Fortune
- That’s My (Raspberry) Jam by Maya Baratz, ABC News
- Honey Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Ryan & Molly Graves, Uber Technologies & NEAT Method
- Antarctic Scotch Ice Cream by Caroline McCarthy, Google
- Maple-Glazed, Apple Bacon Doughnuts by Cory Ondrejka, Facebook
- Hamburger Cookies by David Hornik, August Capital
- Eggnog Cinnamon Chip Scones by Donna & Randi Zuckerberg, Zuckerberg Media
- Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies by Erin Carlson, Crushable
- Flourless (But Not Carb-less) Chocolate Cake by Ethan and Rebecca Kurzweil, Bessemer Venture Partners
- Thumbprint Cookies by Hunter Walk, YouTube
- Apple Crisp (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Paleo) by Ian C Rogers, Topspin
- Chocolate Chip Cookies by Joanne Wilson, gotham gal
- Speedy Blueberry Muffins by Mike Cassidy, GoogleX
- Talea’s Apple Cake by Nora Abousteit, Kollabora
- Ooooey Gooey Butterscotch Brownies by Saar & Patama Gur, Charles River Ventures & Fraiche Yogurt
- Nutrition Hacker’s Approved List of Foods by Tim Chang, Mayfield Fund
Waves for Water
Waves For Water works on the front-line to provide clean water to communities in need around the world.http://www.wavesforwater.org
The mission is simple: To get clean water to every single person who needs it.
Share Our Strength
No child should grow up hungry in America.http://www.nokidhungry.org/
No child should grow up hungry in America, but one in five children struggles with hunger. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
Cloud Architect: Transform Technology and Organization
2 BooksArchitects don't just recite product names and features. They understand the options, decisions, and trade-offs behind them. They earn credibility and maintain authenticity by connecting the penthouse with the engine room. Get two essential books that redefine the role of the software and IT architect at one low price:37 Things One Architect...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!