Snapchat for Journalists
Snapchat for Journalists
How to tell great stories, use the tools, and measure the results
About the Book
Snapchat can be as confusing as it is beguiling for journalists. This book explains how Snapchat is in many ways a very conventional storytelling tool, and outlines some of the techniques journalists can use on the platform to report in compelling new ways for new audiences. Along the way there are plenty of examples of good practice to give you ideas and inspiration, from presenter-led stories by CBS to the use of captions and emojis by the BBC's account, The Huffington Post's creative use of pencils, and Mashable's engagement with users on the platform.
About the Contributors
Table of Contents
Why are we so uncomfortable with Snapchat?
- Coming to terms with your inevitable Snapchat naffness
- Chat app or social network or publishing platform?
Snapchat Stories for journalists
- Photo stories
- Snapchat ‘pieces to camera’
- Behind the scenes
- The importance of sound
- The importance of good lighting
- Considering composition
Pencils, stickers and filters
- Using pencils
- Using stickers/emojis
- Snapchat filters: speed up and slow down video, add timestamps and special stamps
- Lenses: exaggerating facial features, turning them into something else, or swapping faces
- Variety is key
Beginnings, middles and endings: planning ahead
- Planning your story
- What stories does Snapchat suit best?
Sharing, measuring and storing your Snapchat Story
- Finding out how many people have seen your snaps
- Storing your Snapchat story
- Embedding vertical video elsewhere: how to embed a vertical video from YouTube
- Finding Snapchat accounts
- The end? 18 more tips on using Snapchat
- Keeping up to date
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them