Saltstack For DevOps (The Package: The Book + SaltStack Cheat Sheet + Vagrant/OwnCloud Integration With SaltStack code)
Saltstack For DevOps
Extremely fast and simple IT automation and configuration management
About the Book
What SaltStack For DevOps Teaches
This book is a fruit of long hours of work and self-learning. Through this book, it's your turn to discover Saltstack, I will be your guide.The 10 most important tips you’ll learn
- Configuration Management And Data Center Automation.
- Advanced installation of SaltStack with a practical installation case.
- Configuration and troubleshooting.
- SaltStack concepts like master, minion, syndic, key management, runners, configurations, states and top file, event-based execution, formulas.
- Using SaltStack to provision and control a Vagrant environment.
- Using SaltStack with a Docker container and monitoring Docker host system.
- Using Salt Cloud to provision and configure virtual machine on the Cloud
- Real world examples: installation and configuration of Apache web server, creating you own private storage cloud (SaltStack + Vagrant + OwnCloud), monitoring minions, scheduling monitoring tasks, automating wordpress / LAMP installation and configuration, using Vagrant and Docker..etc
- SaltStack best practices with a practical cheat sheet.
- Getting help and contributing to SaltStack community
===========To whom is this book addressed ?
To developers, system administrators and anyone faced to work in one of these environments in collaboration with the other or simply in an environment that requires knowledge in development and system administration.Does this book includes real cases and examples ?
Through this book, you will learn how to install configure and use Saltstack. At the end, you will go through a chapter where some good examples and practical use cases are explained..Is it easy to learn SaltStack ?
This book contains technical explanations and shows in each case an example of a command or a configuration to follow, this will ensure that you have a good understanding of each part before moving to the next one.Why I wrote this book ?
I tried SaltStack first time when I saw my team taking more than 3 days to configure hosted platforms at each deployment ! After using SaltStack, the same procedure was taking less than 1/2 hour..
The Package: The Book + SaltStack Cheat Sheet + Vagrant/OwnCloud Integration With SaltStack code
Get SaltStack For DevOps Book + A separate PDF version of SaltStack Cheat Sheet + The OwnCloud/Vargrant automation and integration code with SaltStack and of course all the future updates.
Through this book you will learn how to use one of the most powerful System Administrators and DevOps tools.
Very easy to understand
I'd like to tell you that you're doing an excellent job with this book.I've read all your posts related with Salt and all of them are very easy to understand for people that are beginners with these tools.
Nice work !
A good way to learn SaltStack
.. I haven't found enough resources online to learn Salt, but this book was a good way for me to learn many things ..
For non english speakers
I don't have a good english, but I was able to learn Salt
A great book on SaltStack.
Great book on Salt!!!
- Every Book Has A Story, This Story Has A Book
- To Whom Is This Book Addressed?
- Conventions Used In This Book
- How To Properly Enjoy This Book
- How To Contribute To This Book?
- About The Author
- Configuration Management And Data Center Automation
- DevOps Tooling
- A brief summary
- Expanding Salt Use
- Advanced Installation
- Installation For Test
- Practical Installation Case
Configuration And Troubleshooting
- Configuration Of A Masterless Minion
- Configuration of salt-master
- Configuration of salt-minion
- Post Installation
- General Troubleshooting and Prerequisites Checklist
- Troubleshooting salt-master
- Troubleshooting salt-minion
- Troubleshooting Ports
- Using salt-call
- A Note About Redhat Enterprise Linux 5
- YAML: The Human Readable Serialization Language
- Jinja: A Templating Language
- The Master: salt-master
- The Minion: salt-minion
- Expanding Salt with salt-syndic
- Key Management with salt-key
- Salt Runners Interface: salt-run
- The Data Aspect of Salt: Grains
- Targeting grains
- Extending The Minion Features With Saltutil
- Formatting Outputs with Outputter
- Describing Configurations and States
- The Top File
- Using Master’s Pillars
- Remote Execution
- Event-Based Execution With Reactors
- From States To Formulas
- SaltStack And Vagrant
- SaltStack And Docker
- Salt Cloud
Real World Examples
- Vagrant Quick-Start
- Installation And Configuration Of Apache Web Server
- Creating You Own Private Storage Cloud (SaltStack + Vagrant + OwnCloud)
- Scheduling Monitoring Tasks Using SaltStack
- Automating Wordpress / LAMP Installation And Configuration
- Docker Quick-Start
- Getting Docker Container System Information Using SaltStack
- Monitoring Docker Containers Using SaltStack
- Provisioning Docker Containers With SaltStack
- Using Salt Cloud With Linode Cloud
- Using Salt Cloud With Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SaltStack Cheat Sheet
- Installing SaltStack - Ubuntu 14.*
- Bootstrapping Salt Minion
- Salt Key Management
- SaltStack Documentation
- SaltStack Modules And Functions
- Compound Matchers
- Upgrades & Versions
- Packages Manipulation
- Reboot & Uptime
- Using Grains
- Syncing Data
- Running System Commands
- Working With Services
- Network Management
- Working With HTTP Requests
- Job Management
- Scheduling Feature
- Working With SLS
- Testing States
- Load testing
- State Declaration Structure
- SaltStack Github Repositories
- Organizing Grains:
- Your Own Execution Modules vs Working With Jinja
- Using The Documentation
- Following Guidelines
- Automate Your Automation
- Start Your Cheat Sheet
- The Usual Lecture From The Local System Administrator
- Updates, Upgrades And Backups
- Following Official Guidelines
Community, Support & Commercial Sercices
- SaltStack Source Code On Github
- Official Resources
- Community Ressources
- Meet-ups Around SaltStack
- About eralabs
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...
SurviveJS - Webpack + React
2 BooksGet both SurviveJS - Webpack and SurviveJS - React for a single price!