Saltstack For DevOps (The Package: The Book + SaltStack Cheat Sheet + Vagrant/OwnCloud Integration With SaltStack code)
Saltstack For DevOps
Extremely fast and simple IT automation and configuration management
About the Book
What SaltStack For DevOps Teaches
This book is a fruit of long hours of work and self-learning. Through this book, it's your turn to discover Saltstack, I will be your guide.The 10 most important tips you’ll learn
- Configuration Management And Data Center Automation.
- Advanced installation of SaltStack with a practical installation case.
- Configuration and troubleshooting.
- SaltStack concepts like master, minion, syndic, key management, runners, configurations, states and top file, event-based execution, formulas.
- Using SaltStack to provision and control a Vagrant environment.
- Using SaltStack with a Docker container and monitoring Docker host system.
- Using Salt Cloud to provision and configure virtual machine on the Cloud
- Real world examples: installation and configuration of Apache web server, creating you own private storage cloud (SaltStack + Vagrant + OwnCloud), monitoring minions, scheduling monitoring tasks, automating wordpress / LAMP installation and configuration, using Vagrant and Docker..etc
- SaltStack best practices with a practical cheat sheet.
- Getting help and contributing to SaltStack community
===========To whom is this book addressed ?
To developers, system administrators and anyone faced to work in one of these environments in collaboration with the other or simply in an environment that requires knowledge in development and system administration.Does this book includes real cases and examples ?
Through this book, you will learn how to install configure and use Saltstack. At the end, you will go through a chapter where some good examples and practical use cases are explained..Is it easy to learn SaltStack ?
This book contains technical explanations and shows in each case an example of a command or a configuration to follow, this will ensure that you have a good understanding of each part before moving to the next one.Why I wrote this book ?
I tried SaltStack first time when I saw my team taking more than 3 days to configure hosted platforms at each deployment ! After using SaltStack, the same procedure was taking less than 1/2 hour..
The Package: The Book + SaltStack Cheat Sheet + Vagrant/OwnCloud Integration With SaltStack code
Get SaltStack For DevOps Book + A separate PDF version of SaltStack Cheat Sheet + The OwnCloud/Vargrant automation and integration code with SaltStack and of course all the future updates.
Through this book you will learn how to use one of the most powerful System Administrators and DevOps tools.
Very easy to understand
I'd like to tell you that you're doing an excellent job with this book.I've read all your posts related with Salt and all of them are very easy to understand for people that are beginners with these tools.
Nice work !
A good way to learn SaltStack
.. I haven't found enough resources online to learn Salt, but this book was a good way for me to learn many things ..
For non english speakers
I don't have a good english, but I was able to learn Salt
A great book on SaltStack.
Great book on Salt!!!
- Every Book Has A Story, This Story Has A Book
- To Whom Is This Book Addressed?
- Conventions Used In This Book
- How To Properly Enjoy This Book
- How To Contribute To This Book?
- About The Author
- Configuration Management And Data Center Automation
- DevOps Tooling
- A brief summary
- Expanding Salt Use
- Advanced Installation
- Installation For Test
- Practical Installation Case
Configuration And Troubleshooting
- Configuration Of A Masterless Minion
- Configuration of salt-master
- Configuration of salt-minion
- Post Installation
- General Troubleshooting and Prerequisites Checklist
- Troubleshooting salt-master
- Troubleshooting salt-minion
- Troubleshooting Ports
- Using salt-call
- A Note About Redhat Enterprise Linux 5
- YAML: The Human Readable Serialization Language
- Jinja: A Templating Language
- The Master: salt-master
- The Minion: salt-minion
- Expanding Salt with salt-syndic
- Key Management with salt-key
- Salt Runners Interface: salt-run
- The Data Aspect of Salt: Grains
- Targeting grains
- Extending The Minion Features With Saltutil
- Formatting Outputs with Outputter
- Describing Configurations and States
- The Top File
- Using Master’s Pillars
- Remote Execution
- Event-Based Execution With Reactors
- From States To Formulas
- SaltStack And Vagrant
- SaltStack And Docker
- Salt Cloud
Real World Examples
- Vagrant Quick-Start
- Installation And Configuration Of Apache Web Server
- Creating You Own Private Storage Cloud (SaltStack + Vagrant + OwnCloud)
- Scheduling Monitoring Tasks Using SaltStack
- Automating Wordpress / LAMP Installation And Configuration
- Docker Quick-Start
- Getting Docker Container System Information Using SaltStack
- Monitoring Docker Containers Using SaltStack
- Provisioning Docker Containers With SaltStack
- Using Salt Cloud With Linode Cloud
- Using Salt Cloud With Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SaltStack Cheat Sheet
- Installing SaltStack - Ubuntu 14.*
- Bootstrapping Salt Minion
- Salt Key Management
- SaltStack Documentation
- SaltStack Modules And Functions
- Compound Matchers
- Upgrades & Versions
- Packages Manipulation
- Reboot & Uptime
- Using Grains
- Syncing Data
- Running System Commands
- Working With Services
- Network Management
- Working With HTTP Requests
- Job Management
- Scheduling Feature
- Working With SLS
- Testing States
- Load testing
- State Declaration Structure
- SaltStack Github Repositories
- Organizing Grains:
- Your Own Execution Modules vs Working With Jinja
- Using The Documentation
- Following Guidelines
- Automate Your Automation
- Start Your Cheat Sheet
- The Usual Lecture From The Local System Administrator
- Updates, Upgrades And Backups
- Following Official Guidelines
Community, Support & Commercial Sercices
- SaltStack Source Code On Github
- Official Resources
- Community Ressources
- Meet-ups Around SaltStack
- About eralabs
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...