Quit Law and Code
Quit Law and Code
A Guide to Transition from Law to App Development
About the Book
Based on the author's own experience, this guide will help you form an exit strategy for leaving law to become a paid, professional, software developer.
This book breaks down the fastest path for a successful career shift into software development and features interviews from other self taught developers who successfully made the transition.
Table of Contents
- Just Quit
- Why Software Development
- Can You Do This?
- Finding a Transitory Job
- The Fastest Way to Employment
- Is There Another Path?
- Different “Technology Stacks”
- Shopping List
- The Action Plan
- The Technical Interview
Chapter 1: Just Quit
- Aftermath and Logistics
- Interview with Law Professor Judson Mitchell
Chapter 2: Why Software Development?
- Career Trajectory
- Your Background as an Asset
- Geographic Freedom
- Job Security
- Being Part of the Changing Economy
- Comparing Software Development with Law
- The X Factors?
- Interview with Dennis Cahillane
Chapter 3: Can You Do This?
- Coding is Easy
- Documentation and Concepts
- The Timeline
- What Makes a Good Software Developer?
- Interview with Danielle Leong
- Chapter 4: Finding a Transitory Job
- Interview with Joel Christiansen
Chapter 5: The Fastest Way to Employment
- Shorter Crash Courses
- A Second Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Interview with Roy McFarland
Chapter 6: Is There Another Path?
- The iOS Apprentice - written by Matthijs Hollemans from Ray Wenderlich
- Stanford - CS193P
- Community College Classes in Computer Science
- My First App - No Forks
- Entering a Hackathon
Chapter 7: Different “Technology Stacks”
- Web Development
- Front End Development
- Back End or Server Side Development
- Backend Frameworks
- Native Mobile Development
- iOS Development
- Android Development
Chapter 8: Shopping List
- A Computer
- A Secondary or otherwise Primary Monitor
- A Standing Desk (Optional)
- Programs and Accounts
Chapter 9: Freelancing
- Your Rate
- Finding Your First Client
- On Your Skills
- Billing and Fees
- Chapter 10: The Action Plan
Chapter 11: The Technical Interview
- Fizz Buzz
- The Reality
- Chapter 12: Congratulations
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.