About the Book
While few people deny the benefits of test automation, comprehensive automated testing via UI (browser for web applications) is rarely implemented in software projects. Common reasons for projects' failed attempts on test automation are:
- Difficult to learn - test scripts are complex and testing tools are not easy to use
- Hard to maintain - UI tests are vulnerable to application changes
- Long feedback loop - automated tests take too long to run
To succeed in automated testing via UI, software projects need to overcome all these 3 challenges.
This book presents a practical approach to implementing test automation for web applications. Topics include:
- Developing easy to read and maintain Selenium WebDriver tests using next-generation functional testing tool
- Page object model
- Functional Testing Refactorings
- Cross-browser testing against IE, Firefox and Chrome
- Setting up continuous testing server to manage execution of a large number of automated UI tests
- Requirement traceability matrix
- Strategies on team collaboration and test automation adoption in projects and organizations
To help readers learn more effectively, the book has a dedicated site containing the following resources:
- Software. Test automation is not necessarily expensive. All test frameworks featured in this book are free and open-source.
- Sample test scripts. Ready-to-run test scripts for the exercises in the book.
- Demo web sites. Two demo sites were created for readers to try out test scripts.
- Tutorial screencasts. You will be able to see how exercises are done step by step.
About the Editor
Zhimin Zhan is the founder and Continuous Integration Officer of AgileWay Pty Ltd, Australia. As an advisor and coach, he helps organzations by implementing test automation with Continuous Integration using open technologies such as Selenium WebDriver and Watir. Zhimin is the creator of TestWise, the next-generation functional testing tool that supports functional test refactorings, a frequent speaker and writer. He shares his test automation and CI experience at testwisely.com.