Making "Headless" Multiplayer Games
Making "Headless" Multiplayer Games
Creating "Content-as-a-Service" (CaaS) Multiplayer Games Using a 5-Ring Architecture
About the Book
- Part I leads you through the world of networks, business consideration, MMoG analysis and setting up your Game Studio Workshop. I have 40 years of networking career experience in highly sensitive (i.e., Government Embassies) data communications. I am a certified Cisco Academy Instructor and have taught networking, networking security, game design/development, and software engineering since 2006 at the college level.
- Part II Guides you into Multi-player Online Game architecture contrasted to a normal single-player games. This lays the foundation for Multi-Player Game Prototypes and reviews a missing aspect in current MMoG development not seen in many online tutorials and example code.
- Part III contains several chapters focused on production and development for both the client-side code, client-proxy, server-side code, Content-as-a-Service (CaaS), "headless game design" and MMoG applications. This content sets the foundation for what many Phaser tutorials and Phaser Starter-Kits on the market today overlook and never tell you! Upon completion of Part III, you will have your own bespoke MMoG with integrated micro-service, and if you choose, web workers and block-chain.
- Part IV (Bonus Content) This section includes proprietary Game Rule Books and EULA source code included as a part of your book's purchase. It is also available separately at https://renown-games.com/shops/.
B.S. Computer Science & Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Maryland (Verified Purchase & read)
The author knows his stuff about networking technologies. So this book presents a wealth of info on how to connect game clients and servers over networks. It's a bit too deep for some readers! But for the more practically minded, it advocates recent technologies and provides a lot of links to toolkits, libraries, and other tutorials. Many gaming how-to books give the impression that the author wants to make a quick buck, but this book feels like the author genuinely wants to make us smarter.
- Supporting website
About this Workbook:
- Viewing the Source Code
- Links and References
- Who should use this workbook?
- Your newly obtained skills…
Game Design System™
- Game Studio - Book Series
- Game Studio - Online Courses
- “Making Browser Games” - Books Series
- “Making Browser Games” Series - online Courses
- Programming Courses
- “Walk-Thru Tutorial” Series - Online Courses
- Distribution Permission
- Part I: Network Concepts and Design
- Part II: MMoG Architecture
- Part III: Production & Development
Part III: Production & Development
- 1 Client-side Tutorial
2 Server-side Tutorial
- 2.1 Chapter Summary
3 MMoG App Engine Servers
- 3.1 Learning from others
- 3.2 Chapter References
4 Walk-through Tutorial: SCA Virtual Trainer™
- 4.1 Design Option A: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 4.2 Design Option B: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 4.3 “Rock, Paper, Scissors” Game Mechanics
- 4.4 Bots?
- 4.5 Simple 2-Player Remote Games
5 Walk-through Tutorial: Rulers of Renown™
- 5.1 Design Option A: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
- 5.2 Design Option B: (External “Walk-Through Tutorial”)
5.3 Review MMoG Management Objects
- Code Sample
- 6 Walk-through Tutorial: War Lord Tourney™
- 7 Walk-through Tutorial: Legends of Renown Deeds™
8 Walk-through Tutorial: Blood Pit II™ (2-player)
- Required Original Download Files
- Live Online Example:
- Preparation Assumptions
- REST Selection Justification
- Design Option Paths
- 8.1 Common Design Foundation
8.2 Creating a MMoG REST API
- Step #1 Setting up a demonstration
- Step #2 The URLs
- Step #3 The Code
- Step #4 Database Models
- Step #5 API Security Considerations
8.3 Interacting with Horizontal Services
- Different REST Interactions Methods
- Social Services Interactions
- 8.4 Conclusion
- 8.5 Resources
- Additional Appendices
- Other resources:
- Selling your Game Assets
- Appendix: Online Game Development
- Appendix: Making WebXR Games!
- Appendix: Phaser III Plugins
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
- More Resources
Answers to Exercises
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.