Magento Product Types: Developer's Guide
Last updated on 2014-10-02
About the Book
Magento is an open-source PHP e-commerce framework that incorporates a wide range of features that can satisfy nearly every imaginable e-commerce scenario. Thousands of online shops, big and small, use Magento.
Magento is a complex system and is known for its steep learning curve. The goal of this book is to provide information on one of the Magento core components: product types.
This book provides a detailed explanation of the four complex Magento product types: Configurable, Bundle, Grouped, and Downloadable. Each chapter is complemented by a step-by-step tutorial to give a practical insight into the discussed product type. The last tutorial explains how to create a custom product type: Affiliate.
Who this book is for
This book is not an introduction to Magento. For best results, those reading it should have a working knowledge of the system – knowledge that might contain some gaps, which this book aims to fill.
Magento Product Types: Developer’s Guide
- About the Author
- Who is this book for?
- What does this book cover?
- What you’ll need
- Sample code
- Piracy and copyleft
Chapter 1. Introducing Product Types
- Product type configuration
- Basic product type functionality
- Product type models and adding a product to the shopping cart
Chapter 2. Configurable Product Type
- Managing configurable products in the back-end
- Configurable product’s presentation in the front-end
- JSON configuration object
- Configurable product type model
- Method _prepareProduct
- Configurable attribute model
- Configurable type and its effect on shop performance
Tutorial I. Configurable Product Type
Chapter 3. Bundle Product Type
- Bundle product management in the back-end
- Creating a Bundle product in Magento
- Front-end display of the Bundle type products
- Bundle Option and Selection classes
- Bundle product type class
Tutorial II. Bundle Product Type
- Tutorial Objective
- Step 1: Rewriting the back-end blocks
- Step 2: Rewriting the front-end
- Step 4: Rewriting the Bundle product type model
Chapter 4. Grouped Product Type
- Class Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Type_Grouped
- Grouped product type and its associated products
- Adding Grouped products to a cart or wishlist
Tutorial III. Grouped Product Type
Chapter 5. Downloadable Product Type
- Mage_Downloadable module settings in the back-end
- Creating a Downloadable product
- Front-end display of Downloadable products
- Downloadable product type configuration
- Link and Sample models
- Downloadable product type class
- Buying a Downloadable product
- Delivering Downloadable products
Tutorial IV. Downloadable Product Type
Tutorial V. Creating a Custom Product Type
- Declaring the Affiliate product type
- Adding a new attribute to affiliate products
- Redirects and customer authentication
- Front-end customizations
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...