Magento Product Types: Developer's Guide
Last updated on 2014-10-02
About the Book
Magento is an open-source PHP e-commerce framework that incorporates a wide range of features that can satisfy nearly every imaginable e-commerce scenario. Thousands of online shops, big and small, use Magento.
Magento is a complex system and is known for its steep learning curve. The goal of this book is to provide information on one of the Magento core components: product types.
This book provides a detailed explanation of the four complex Magento product types: Configurable, Bundle, Grouped, and Downloadable. Each chapter is complemented by a step-by-step tutorial to give a practical insight into the discussed product type. The last tutorial explains how to create a custom product type: Affiliate.
Who this book is for
This book is not an introduction to Magento. For best results, those reading it should have a working knowledge of the system – knowledge that might contain some gaps, which this book aims to fill.
Magento Product Types: Developer’s Guide
- About the Author
- Who is this book for?
- What does this book cover?
- What you’ll need
- Sample code
- Piracy and copyleft
Chapter 1. Introducing Product Types
- Product type configuration
- Basic product type functionality
- Product type models and adding a product to the shopping cart
Chapter 2. Configurable Product Type
- Managing configurable products in the back-end
- Configurable product’s presentation in the front-end
- JSON configuration object
- Configurable product type model
- Method _prepareProduct
- Configurable attribute model
- Configurable type and its effect on shop performance
Tutorial I. Configurable Product Type
Chapter 3. Bundle Product Type
- Bundle product management in the back-end
- Creating a Bundle product in Magento
- Front-end display of the Bundle type products
- Bundle Option and Selection classes
- Bundle product type class
Tutorial II. Bundle Product Type
- Tutorial Objective
- Step 1: Rewriting the back-end blocks
- Step 2: Rewriting the front-end
- Step 4: Rewriting the Bundle product type model
Chapter 4. Grouped Product Type
- Class Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Type_Grouped
- Grouped product type and its associated products
- Adding Grouped products to a cart or wishlist
Tutorial III. Grouped Product Type
Chapter 5. Downloadable Product Type
- Mage_Downloadable module settings in the back-end
- Creating a Downloadable product
- Front-end display of Downloadable products
- Downloadable product type configuration
- Link and Sample models
- Downloadable product type class
- Buying a Downloadable product
- Delivering Downloadable products
Tutorial IV. Downloadable Product Type
Tutorial V. Creating a Custom Product Type
- Declaring the Affiliate product type
- Adding a new attribute to affiliate products
- Redirects and customer authentication
- Front-end customizations
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.