Breaking into Information Security: Learning the Ropes 101
Breaking into Information Security: Learning the Ropes 101
Teaching You The Core Fundamentals For Getting Your Career Started in Penetration Testing.
About the Book
This book will cover off all of the basic topics to get you from zero to junior penetration tester/offensive security consultant level. It aims to cover off all of the basic topic areas that anyone hoping to break into security should understand & web app testing/hacking
- Introduction - Outlining who the book is aimed at, why it exists and what to expect in the
- other sections.
- Core Fundamentals - Explains the basics of how networking and the internet works.
- Operating Systems - A sub-section for each operating system and the benefits/tools for each.
- Virtualization - Explanation on what it is and why it is useful to know about.
- Programming - Some fundamentals on logic and scripting.
- Infrastructure - Building on the basic networking, explaining the role of infrastructure in
- penetration testing.
- Web Application Testing - breaking down web application testing and what is involved, some
- methodologies and tips too.
- Importance of Reporting - Explaining how to compile your evidence in a professional way,
- also expanding on how to write a good report.
- People Skills - How to build your connections and get your foot in the door.
- Penetration Testing - Explaining what is involved in the job, what to expect and how to keep
- Hacking Your Career Path - Some tips on preparing a CV & applying a more creative approach.
- Further Reading & Resources - Links and books to checkout to further your learning.
Great book, easy to read, fun and educational
Happily reading your #ltr101 each morning on the train. Great book, easy to read, fun and educational. -- Twitter
Snagged a signed copy of #ltr101 by @ZephrFish yesterday... the early skim is *very* good - check it out! -- Twitter
Definitely worth buying and certainly a book that I would recommend.
The book is an extension of his already well written blog posts, with lots of extra content covering all the basics you need to be familiar with when getting started in the information security industry. In each chapter he breaks down the key components down into nice byte sized chunks, making it a super easy read. For me, the key highlights were chapters that covered Infrastructure, Web Application Testing and importance of reporting your findings to clients.
César Pose (Zhakka)
Very useful, especially for newbies!
LTR101 is a very good introduction for a beginner and for an intermediate too. Very clear concepts, good synthesis. In my case, I have found chapters 7 about Web Application Testing and 11 about Resources very useful. I think most people that are learning Hacking (and Web Hacking) regardless the area of interest, learning on their own, searching resources, books, blogs, websites, courses, tutorials, etc. Then, the most needed is a guide, a map for organizing the study. Here is the book for you.
Well-written and cleverly structured
"Learning the Ropes 101" is a well-written and cleverly structured book on information security. Andy takes his time to touch on numerous topics that pentesters and bug bounty hunters will encounter while conducting research. This book is a must read for anyone getting started in the world of security.
Almost finished reading #ltr101 by @ZephrFish .. 10/10 rating ;) webapp testing part is awesome.
Great Book for Beginners
100% recommended. You want something that can explain in a straight forward manner that's easy to read, start here. No one got anywhere from 1 book but its a great starting point
- What this Book is
- Why Does This Book Exist?
- Who Is This Book for?
- A Word of Warning
- About The Author
2. Core Fundamentals
- Numbers in Security
- Fundamental Networking
- Facilitating Attacks with DNS
3. Operating Systems
- What is Virtualisation?
- What it is Used For
- Setting Up Your First Virtual Machine
- Other Platforms
- The Basics - Functions, Variables, Learning
- Language Types
- Pivoting/Further Recon/Post-Exploitation
- Other Types of Infrastructure Testing
7. Web Application Testing
- Note Taking and Session Tracking
8. Importance of Reporting
- Reporting in Pentesting
- Making Things Beautiful
- Technical Findings
- Bug Bounty Reporting
9. Social & People Skills
10. Penetration Testing, Bug Bounty Hunting & <Insert Colour Teaming>
- Penetration Testing
- Bug Bounty Hunting
- Coloured Teams
11. Hacking Your Career Path
- Things to Consider
- Advertising Skillset
- Selling Yourself
12. Further Reading & Resources
- Books to Read
- Network Pentesting
- Web Application Testing
- Quick Reference for Bag
- Web Applications for Learning on
- People to Follow on Twitter
- Links to Checkout
- Thank You
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.