Logging in Python
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2020-05-19
About the Book
Logging is an integral part of most modern apps. Almost all programming platforms provide built-in logging support with copious documentation. However, using logging APIs well takes some effort as one has to read the documentation and experiment with code samples.
This guide is an attempt to reduce this effort and help developers to quickly be productive with logging API offered by Python's logging module. The guide is intended to supplement the reference documentation of Python's logging module.
What does the booklet contain?
The booklet contains a three-part guide.
- The first part introduces concepts and terms pertaining to logging in a programming language-agnostic manner.
- The second part describes how various elements of Python's logging module support these concepts and terms. This part covers both the API used for logging and the support for configuring the logging library.
- The third part discusses good practices and gotchas to consider when using Python's logging module. It also presents some performance considerations to keep in mind when using the logging module.
To keep the guide short and respect the readers' time, I have tried to limit the presentation to definitions, rationale, samples, recommendations, and explanations, where necessary. When more details are warranted and are available in abundance elsewhere, links to such references are provided.
Help a Cause
Initially, I started creating an article about logging in Python for Coralogix. Then, the COVID-19 situation happened. As a way to help out with the COVID-19 situation, we decided to publish the article as an electronic book and contribute part of royalty from each sale to organizations helping out with COVID-19 situation. Specifically, from each sale, royalty over $5 or 50% of the royalty, whichever is higher, will be donated.
I am thankful to Coralogix for sponsoring this booklet and helping out with a cause.
So, while the contents of this booklet is freely available online, I hope you will purchase an electronic version of the booklet and help a cause.
- About Coralogix, the sponsor of this work
Concepts and API
- Logging Concepts
- Python’s Logging Library
- Using Python’s Logging Library
- Configuring the Library
- Loading and Storing Configuration
Good Practices and Gotchas
- Good Practices
- Configuration-Based Considerations
- Code-Based Considerations
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.