Last updated on 2014-05-28
About the Book
Leaflet.js is an awesome, easy to learn mapping library. In this book we’ll go through some introductory examples so you can get started using it in your projects. We’ll also use data from various public sources like open government data, social networks and geographically-aware wiki to create interactive maps.
We’ll be using Leaflet.js as a module in the node.js/CommonJS style, utilizing browserify to bundle the code for the browser. We’ll also explore a wide range of tilesets available for use in Leaflet.js maps.The reader
- The basics of creating maps with Leaflet.js.
- Creating interactive, filterable maps.
- Using alternate tilesets and image overlays with your maps.
- Integrating maps with public APIs and datasets.
- Using browserify to bundle node.js-style modules for the browser.
- Intermediate node.js module creation and best practices.
- Using developer tools like Git, GitHub, Chrome Dev Tools, Bower, npm, and Grunt.
Read a sample here: learnjs.io/blog/2013/11/08/leaflet-basicsFree updates
This book is under active development. You’ll get all future updates for free.
- Thank you.
- Tools we’ll use in this book
- Who are you? Who am I? What is this?
- Setting up a development environment
The simplest possible map you can make
- Get a MapBox account and map ID
- Create an index.html file
- The full index.html file explained in detail
- Add a marker
- Publish the map on GitHub Pages
Getting started with Leaflet.js using node.js, npm, and browserify
- Installation and setting up
- Serving the development site using browserify & beefy
Basic elements of a Leaflet.js map
- UI Layers
- Vector layors
Using alternate tilesets
- Get set up
- Install the leaflet-providers module
- Using Stamen tiles
- Using Mapbox tiles
- Using alternate CloudMade tiles
Useful Leaflet.js plugins
Drawing shapes on a Leaflet map
- Getting started
- Basic CSS & HTML
- Edit index.js
- Saving GeoJSON to a database
- Install xhr for browser.js
- Revise browser.js
A Work in progress
- The planned upcoming chapters:
- v0.2.0 - February 3, 2014
- v0.1.0 - November 18, 2013
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...