This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-09-14
About the Book
This book explains the philosophy behind Leanpub.
While Lean Publishing is a relatively short book at just over 100 pages and 20,000 words (about novella length), I put a lot of thought, research and work into it. Had I put less work into it, it would have been 200 pages and less entertaining.
So, what's in the book?
Quite simply, the definitive introduction and guide to Lean Publishing.
Lean Publishing is the act of publishing an in-progress ebook using lightweight tools and many iterations to get reader feedback, pivot until you have the right book and build traction once you do.
This book examines the Lean Publishing idea in depth, considering both the meaning and the origin of the various aspects of Lean Publishing.
The first chapter, Definition, examines the definition of Lean Publishing in length, going deep into each of its components. This chapter is the basis of the Lean Publishing Manifesto at https://leanpub.com/manifesto.
The second chapter, Origins, considers the origins of Lean Publishing. These include everything from Victorian serial fiction, fan fiction, beta books, blogs, and my own experiences.
The third chapter, Practice, is a short discussion of Lean Publishing practice for both authors and publishers. Leanpub is also discussed, as it's our attempt to implement these ideas.
- Lean Publishing is the act of publishing an in-progress book…
- …using lightweight tools…
- …and many iterations…
- …to get reader feedback…
- …pivot until you have the right book…
- …and build traction once you do.
- Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers and the Rise of Serial Fiction
- Wilkie Collins, Mary Elizabeth Braddon and the Rise of Sensation Fiction in 1860s Victorian England
- Serial Fiction Worldwide in the 1800s
- Master of the Universe and Fifty Shades of Grey: Serial Fiction and Fan Fiction
- The Technology Adoption Lifecycle
- From Blogs to Books
- Flexible Rails
- A Sports Metaphor for Publishers
- Leanpub: Lean Publishing as a Service
- Real Artists Reject the Null Hypothesis
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...