iOS Apps with REST APIs
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-06-26
About the Book
Skip the hundreds of pages that barely get into how to make a network call in iOS. No esoteric details about Core Anything or mathematical proofs of flatmap. Only the nitty gritty that you need to get real work done now: interfacing with your web services and displaying the results in your UI.
This book was written using Swift 4, Alamofire 4.7, Xcode 9, and iOS 11 (with support for iOS 10).
All code samples included.
After reading this book you’ll be able to:
- Analyze a JSON response from a web service call and write Swift code to parse it into model objects.
- Display those model objects in a table view so that when the user launches the app they have a nice list to scroll through.
- Add authentication to use web service calls that require OAuth 2.0, a username/password, or a token.
- Transition from the main table view to a detail view for each object, possibly making another web service call to get more info about the object.
- Let users of your app add, modify and delete objects (as long as your web service supports it).
- Hook in to more web service calls to extend you app, like adding user profiles or letting users submit comments or attach photos to objects.
This book is for:
- Software developers getting started with iOS but experienced in other languages
- Front-end devs looking to implement native UIs for iOS apps (no CSS, oh noes!)
- Back-end devs tasked with getting the data into the user's hands on iOS
- Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Tizen, Symbian & Palm OS devs looking to expand their web service backed apps to iOS
- Anyone whose boss is standing over their shoulder asking why the data isn't showing up in the tableview yet
This book isn't for:
- People completely new to programming, you should have a decent grasp of at least one object-oriented programming language or have completed several intro to iOS tutorials
- Designers, managers, UX pros, ... It's a programming book. All the monospace font inserts will probably drive you crazy.
- Cross-platform developers dedicated to their tools (including HTML5 & Xamarin), this is all Swift & native UI, all the time
- Programmers building apps with no webservice interaction
- Game devs
Expanded Edition: Book + TL;DR Edition + Adding More API Calls Reference Sheet
Get your app built faster. The TL;DR Edition will help guide you through the book to find the parts you need and get your app started. Then once you're on your way, the Adding More API Calls Reference Sheet will help you through all of the necessary steps each time you find yourself integrating yet another REST API call in your Swift app.
A team license for iOS Apps with REST APIs gives you freedom to distribute the book to your team members working for your company or collaborating on products with you - anyone working with your or for you on iOS apps. Includes the TL;DR Edition and Adding More API Calls Reference Sheet.
Sr. Architect Apple Products at Proscape Technologies
I had to comment on how you progressed from simple NSURLSession calls to Alamofire serializers. I really like how you explained why you would choose to use one vs. the other and how some libraries can dramatically simplify the code.
Director, North American Regions Applications at Estee Lauder Companies
I have always been a Microsoft developer and only recently gotten into iPhone development. Your book is exactly what myself and my team needed to get started. Every example was relevant to what we needed for the application we are developing.
Senior Developer at Volm Companies Inc
Your book made me a rockstar in my company :) I can't thank you enough!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...