This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-03-02
About the Book
Everything you need to know about Instagram in Higher Education. Learn how to source, create, plan and share content, engage with your community, grow followers and play the algorithm. Includes tried-and-tested planning tools, top tips and hacks.
Posting high quality square images every now and then sounds easy, right? But there's so much more to Instagram and it will be eating up your time before you know it. Find out how to manage your time to best effect and enjoy a bundle of free resources, handy apps and tried-and-tested processes to make Instagram management successful and enjoyable.
The book covers the following: basics, toolkit, content and community, hashtags, scheduling, Instagram Stories, testing and learning (how to run a pilot), and measurement. And if you make it to the end, you'll find out why you need to start salsa dancing,
Why this book?
InstHEgram was written following a three-month pilot conducted on The Open University's (OU) Instagram account and is based on research, experimentation (and a few mistakes), and immersing one's self in the world of Instagram (yes, it's likely you might start dreaming in square images and seeing the world through filters). The book's based on a real experience of Instagram in Higher Education from the perspective of the social media team OU, the UK's largest university and pioneers of part-time distance learning.
We learned a lot - and so will you.
PS This book has a HE focus, but if you're generally interested in making the most out of Instagram for Business, this book is for you too.
- Who am I?
- Who is this book for?
- The Open University
- The Masters degree
- Instagram and the pilot
- Setting up your account
- Just because you build it, doesn’t mean they’ll come
Make the time
- No, seriously. Make the time
- Organisation and flexibility
- Here’s the maths
Tools of the trade
- Finding your mojo
- Content diary
- Content planner
- Action/issues log
- You need people too
- Content ideas
- Make the time
Content and community
- Play the algorithm
- Take good photos
- Get your colleagues on board
- Share the love: user generated content
- Add incentives
- Reward loyalty
It’s not all about images
- Don’t be afraid to go for the easy wins
- If you post a question do you think you’ll get more comments?
Creating content for other channels
- The perfect recipe for cross-posting
- Create presentations
- People stories
- Trending topics
- Post at the best times of day
- Call to action
- Be different
- Tone of voice
- Create your own hashtags
- Find new hashtags
- How many hashtags and where?
- Campaign-specific hashtags
- Tag them!
- Local hashtags
- Geo locations
- The logistics of scheduling
- Should you schedule everything?
- How often should you post?
- Mobile phones and notifications
- Scheduling in Instagram
- Test it
- Plan ahead
- Safety in numbers
- Take the right kit
- Don’t capture content live (or remember that you don’t have to)
- Pros and cons of vertical content
- Make the most of Boomerang and Hyperlapse
- Don’t forget your branding
- Pre-prepare some Instagram Stories
- Don’t forget context
- Keep testing
Test and learn
- Manage your expectations (and those of your manager!)
- Set up a test account
- Learn outside of Instagram
- Don’t be afraid to ask
- Don’t be afraid to compare
- Instagram Insights
- Third-party measuring tools
- Set some goals
- Do an audit
- Do your own tracking
- Measurement isn’t just about numbers
- Measurement doesn’t need to be channel specific
Why salsa dancing is good for Instagram users
- Addicted to your phone?
- Blurring the boundaries between home and work
- Training our body into discomfort
- A state of stress
- Salsa dancing could be the answer
- Take a break, boost productivity
- My smartphone is here to stay
- The end. No, really
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.