Backing Up Your Mac, Second Edition
Last updated on 2016-12-13
About the Book
The Definitive Guide to Mac Backups
Your Mac contains valuable and sometimes irreplaceable files—family photos and videos, business documents, your unfinished novel… not to mention personal data such as email, contacts, and calendars. Without great backups, all of that data could disappear in an instant. We don’t like to think about theft, fire, and natural disasters, but these things happen. So do hard drive crashes and other malfunctions (not to mention user error).
Your best insurance against losing data forever is a thorough, carefully designed backup plan. You don’t have to spend a ton of money or be a technical whiz to back up your Mac. This book helps you design a sensible backup strategy, choose and configure the best backup hardware and software for your needs, and understand how to make your backups as painless as possible. This book is for all Macs running OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later, including macOS 10.12 Sierra.
- Learn Joe’s simple, three-prong strategy for bulletproof Mac backups.
- Decide whether Time Machine is right for you—and if so, learn how to use it for backing up and restoring data.
- Discover alternatives to Time Machine for storing multiple versions of your files.
- Find out why and how to create a bootable duplicate (or clone) of your Mac’s startup volume.
- Choose the best hardware for backing up your data.
- Learn about offsite storage, including cloud backup services.
- Know exactly what you’ll need to do if disaster strikes.
- Deal with special backup needs, such as large video files, backups while on the road, and backing up a small network.
Read Me First
- What’s New in Version 2.2
- What Was New in Version 2.1
- A Note to Readers
- Quick Start
Chapter 1 Plan a Backup Strategy
- Understand Joe’s Basic Backup Strategy
- Why Create Versioned Backups?
- Why Create Bootable Duplicates?
- Why Use an External Hard Drive?
- Why Use Multiple Partitions?
- Why Automate Backups?
- Why Keep Multiple Backups?
- Why Store Backups Offsite?
- Can Cloud Sync Simplify Backups?
- Can You Reduce Your Backup Footprint?
Chapter 2 Reassess Your Backup Strategy
- What’s New in the World of Mac Backups
- Factors to Reevaluate
Chapter 3 Choose Backup Software
- Decide If Time Machine Is Right for You
- Explore Versioned Backup Software Features
- Choose Another Versioned Backup App
- Choose a Bootable Duplicate App
Chapter 4 Choose Backup Hardware
- Decide on Capacity
- Choose an Interface (or Several)
- Consider Other Factors
- Decide Whether to Buy a Time Capsule
- Decide How Many Drives to Buy
- Consider Other Hardware Options
Chapter 5 Prepare Your Hard Drive
- Choose a Partition Map Scheme
- Decide How Many Partitions to Make
- Configure Your Drive
- Choose Local or Network Backups
Chapter 6 Configure and Use Time Machine
- Time Machine Basics
- Choose a Destination (or More Than One)
- Exclude Files from Time Machine
- Restore Data with Time Machine
- Delete Files from a Time Machine Backup
- Encrypt Your Time Machine Backup
- Use a Single Backup Disk with Multiple Macs
- Use Power Nap
- Manage Your Time Machine Schedule
- Migrate to a Larger Time Machine Disk
- Avoid (or Solve) Time Machine Problems
Chapter 7 Use Other Versioned Backup Software
- Arq Tips
- ChronoSync Tips
- CrashPlan Tips
- Data Backup Tips
- DollyDrive Tips
- QRecall Tips
- Retrospect Tips
- Test Your Versioned Backup
Chapter 8 Create and Use a Bootable Duplicate
- Give the Destination Volume a Unique Name
- Set Ownership on the Destination Volume
- Create a Duplicate with SuperDuper!
- Create a Duplicate with Carbon Copy Cloner
- Test Your Duplicate
Chapter 9 Store an Extra Backup Offsite
- Use an Extra Hard Drive
- Use a Cloud Backup Service
Chapter 10 What to Do When Disaster Strikes
- Restore Individual Files
- Use Your Bootable Duplicate
- Restore a Disk from a Bootable Duplicate
Chapter 11 Manage Your Media
- What to Do When Your Disks Fill Up
- Think About Long-Term Archive Storage
Chapter 12 Consider Special Backup Needs
- Back Up Digital Photos
- Deal with Huge Volumes of Data
- Back Up a NAS
- Back Up Data from the Cloud
- Back Up a Small Network
- Back Up While on the Road
- Back Up an iOS Device
- Back Up Windows Files and Volumes
- Teach This Book
About This Book
- About the Author
- About Joe On Tech
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...